Question about OPKs

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

macattack Posts: 1617
Have posted this TTC too but thought I’d get some opinions from you pregnant ladies. I’ve read on here and on other forums that opks can detect the pregnancy hormone and if you’ve had a few positive opks in a row there’s a good chance you could be pregnant. I got a smiley and Tuesday night and another on Wednesday night (DTD on both positive nights) and then back to negative last night. If conception had occurred would the opk have given me a positive? I‘d just rather know now than get my hopes up (again) that I still have a chance if it’s not going to happen. Thanks girls.
lollisue Posts: 507
This can happen but if it does it wouldn't happen until around the same time as you'd get a positive on a pregnancy test. It won't be positive for pregnancy straight after conception.
Thank you! There's such conflicting information on the internet it's hard to know what to believe. Some sites are saying the hCg hormone is present immediately after conception and a sensitive opk would be able to detect this, as hCg is practically identical to the LH hormone which opks are designed for. Others saying what you've just said lollisue, that the hormone wouldn't be present until implantation occurs which would make more sense I guess! Honestly TTC is a mine field. I feel as if I need a degree in biology to understand it all.
Silini2 Posts: 3834
Agree with last poster, in fact opks don't usually become positive again until you've already had a +hpt. Here's a link.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Macattack HCG is only produced after implantation and this normally happens 5-7 days after ovulation. Even at that though you would need to give it a few days as the levels need to get over a certain point for the tests to pick it up. So really you would need to wait at least a week after egg and sperm meet. With regards to OPK's picking up the HCG hormones- yes this is possible but not the other way around (HPT detecting ovulation).
[quote="ReginaFalange":2oudgsta]Macattack HCG is only produced after implantation and this normally happens 5-7 days after ovulation. Even at that though you would need to give it a few days as the levels need to get over a certain point for the tests to pick it up. So really you would need to wait at least a week after egg and sperm meet. With regards to OPK's picking up the HCG hormones- yes this is possible but not the other way around (HPT detecting ovulation).[/quote:2oudgsta] This answers my question perfectly! Thank you so much. You ladies are brilliant. The more I read the more confused I was getting. When I saw that negative last night I thought I was out of the race again. Good to know I’m still in with a shot. Hopefully I’ll be joining you on here soon. Thanks again. Happy, healthy pregnancies to you all. :thnk
lollisue Posts: 507
I always tell DH that he needs to become a scientist and figure out how to invent a pregnancy test that works in about 24 hours. We'd be rich :yelrotflmaosmilie: