Question about paying a supplier

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LittleLily Posts: 3682
So I booked and paid a deposit with a photographer today and he said the balance was due 2 months before the wedding. I didn't think anything of it at the time but now I think about it I'm wondering is this normal? I thought mostly the balance would be paid on completion of the job, but I dont have any experience of this, so if any other brides out there could help me out that would be great. Is this normal practice to pay 2 months before? What if he has his money and then doesn't show up on the day? Am I worried for no reason?
colettes30 Posts: 73
If that was me I would have a word with him. I certainly would not pay until I got my photo album. I never heard of this before.
fish12 Posts: 389
j
littlemisshopeful Posts: 6101
Alot of suppliers are doing business that way now. I personally would not pay a photographer or other supplier in full {except had to pay final hotel bill 3 days in advance} in advance of receiving and being happy with the full service. Make sure you get a written contract and make a note of issues you want included in it and make sure they are in it. That will help things, but maybe try to talk to him and see if you could pay the balance nearer the time. 2 months in advance is ridiculous!
LittleLily Posts: 3682
Thanks girls, I'll contact him tomorrow and tell him I'm not happy with the 2 months before situation and that most photographers take payment when the photos are recieved.
Crostini Posts: 1105
2 months is a little strange alright. I think most photographers look for deposit and then a percentage on the day like 75% of remaining balance or something and then the remainder when you get the album.
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I had to pay an deposit to book the date itself, he has also said he will need another portion about 6 weeks before the wedding and the final balance when we collect the album. I do want a contract though to protect myself and H2B. It's fine for them if something goes wrong they still have a decent slice of money O:| . Just be careful
Mulberry Posts: 187
We have paid a deposit with ours and have to pay the balance at least a week beforehand. We did ask him about deferring payment until we had the album. He said he used to do that but then he didn't hear from the bride and groom for months after the wedding. They were waiting to get the money together after the wedding to pay for the photos so it might have been 6 months or a year before he got paid for his work. I could kind of see his point! Two months does seem like a lot of time before the wedding though.
littlefairy Posts: 120
hi littlelily, we paid a dep and then the final payment on the day of wedding, everything worked out fine, but i defo wouldnt pay him 2 months in advance in case he didnt show on the day !!
summersurprise Posts: 1276
[quote="bimbo":2ue49546]hi littlelily, we paid a dep and then the final payment on the day of wedding, everything worked out fine, but i defo wouldnt pay him 2 months in advance in case he didnt show on the day !![/quote:2ue49546] :wv we paid a deposit, are paying a sum on the day and the balance when we get the album, I wouldnt pay all upfront 2 months in advance. . is the photographer a supplier online here? if so have a look at what other wollies are saying about him / her, if your having niggling worries speak with the photographer out yourself at ease :wv