question for dog owners

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

little mrs sunshine Posts: 5523
Just wondering if anyone has noticed a change in their little doggies since the good weather started? We were away at weekend in my parents place and our puppy was out in good weather a lot. Since we came back on Monday evening she isn't herself, she's very tired and seems to lack energy (or as much energy as she normally has). She's 9months old and I was thinking perhaps she's coming into heat, maybe that might explain why she's tired? Any help greatly appreciated I feel so sorry for her.
AVENGER Posts: 4595
Dogs are going to be hotter in the warm weather - just like the rest of us. Try giving the puppy cold water from the fridge to help cool her down. At that age its likely that she is coming into heat but I don't know if that would make her sleepier.
We are constantly giving her water, she drinks a lot anyway. I was just wondering if this is part of the heat process.
MrsJenni04 Posts: 422
Our dog is a male dog and he has been drinking alot of water lately, I just think it's to do with the hot weather.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
I have noticed the same with our dog.I actually thought he was sick as he was moping around the garden,but it is the heat now I realise.We hose him down alot its not easy as he doesnt like the water dripping over him but we knew it will cool him down. Imagine having a coat like them in this heat,poor little things!I noticed aswell shedding season has come again,my god tonight his hair is everyone :roll:
MrsMeggy Posts: 367
Yea the heat would be affecting them same as a person the heat can exhust them. they will get use to it and come back to the way they were
kentucky Posts: 223
I would say its because of the heat. My St. Bernard has a long coat and is finding this weather v hard and has the same symptons as your dog. My advise apart from the posts above is to feed the dog first thing in the morning or last thing at night when its cooler. Make sure the dog has somewhere in the shade to lie down in. I put ice or a big stone (cleaned) in her water bowl to keep it cool. The other thing I do is hose her down twice a day. I wouldn't worry too much just try and make her more comfortable. My dog normally sleeps inside but in this weather I've had her outside cos its cooler.
*gone* Posts: 4785
///
thanks girls, you have put my mind at rest. I felt so sorry for her last night, she couldn't keep her eyes open. I had her outside for a while playing and after a few minutes she came in and flopped out. She's a springer spaniel and is usally so full of it. She's walked 4miles a day and even that isn't long enough for her. She loves swimming and the water, so might hose her down tonight or take her for a swim.
Septbride Posts: 380
yes my 2 'babies' are finding the heat very bad at the mo. Agree complet about not feeding till it is cool and most defo don't exercise until the sun goes down!!! I hose mine down every lunchtime but my male dog doesn't like it so i have started just using a big jug and slowly pouring that over him and he is much happier I think the feel of the fast jets was a bit much for him!! Even though they are two boxers - he is a bit of a wuss compared to the bitch she is up for anything!!!!!