Question for other American couples that wed in Ireland

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Newbisan Posts: 38
My fiancee and I are both American citizens getting married in a Catholic church in Ireland this October. We have all our Ireland wedding documents together and are ready to go in regard to that. However, my fiancee recently read in a bridal mag that we will also need to get a marriage license or certificate or some such from back here in the U.S. (New York, in particular). From what I had understood, once we were married in Ireland, the marriage would then be recognized back in the U.S. using the certificate we received in Ireland. But I called the Brooklyn, NY County Court office and was told (by a very unintelligent sounding woman) that the wedding wouldn't be recognized in the U.S. I told her I was almost positive she was mistaken, and she gave me the main office number to call.. which noone is answering. So, I thought maybe I'd just check this site and try to get the straight story. Is there any couple out there who are both American citizens (New York state residents would be even better), that got married in Ireland and can tell me what they needed upon return to the U.S. to have the marriage recognized? Did you have to get a seperate license or anything before going? Please help, more stress 8 weeks before the wedding is not needed!! O:|
vitamin1 Posts: 565
hi there Im not sure what countries have the same laws but my sister in law and fiance(both canadian) have decided to get married here and as far as i know they have to reside in ireland for 21 days and the parish priest has to see them on the 1st and 8th day before the wedding, if i were you i would contact the american emmbassy in dublin and ask or or talk to the parish priest who is marrying you i copied and pasted this for you... there are some phone numbers too..good luck. "Getting married in Ireland is complicated but possible. Here are some tips to help you get through the formalities from a distance. Three months' notice To marry in the Republic of Ireland, three months' written notice of the parties' intention to wed must be given to the registrar for the district in which you wish to be married. Occasionally, exceptions are given, but they must be applied for at the Circuit Family Court Office or the High Court Office. There is no cost for this service. Residency Residency is a must, whether for a religious ceremony or civil marriage, and requires at least one visit to Ireland prior to the actual ceremony to complete all the administrivia. Both parties must be over eighteen years of age on the actual wedding day to be married in the Republic of Ireland. To establish residency qualifications for marriage by license, one of the parties needs fifteen full days of residency, the other party need to reside in the area seven days before notice is served, and then the wedding can take place eight days later. If the parties choose to get married without a license, the residency requirement is shortened (seven full days for each party), but the waiting period is much longer. Notice is served on the eighth day, but the marriage cannot take place until twenty-two days later. These requirements apply to the county of Dublin. Interested parties planning to be married elsewhere need to ask about the residency requirement in the district of their choice. Registrars In all cases of civil weddings, both parties must make an appointment with the registrar in their county of choice and produce all necessary documents which might include: Birth Certificates, if divorced, a copy of the Divorce Absolute (in English) and Birth Certificate. There are two sets of registrars, one for Roman Catholic marriages and another for Protestant and civil marriages. A list of registrars for the former is obtained from the health board of the area concerned, while the other is made up of a list of solicitors in each county. (Ask for form FLA.1.96.) Both lists are available from: The General Register Office Joyce House, 8/11 Lombard Street East Dublin 2, Ireland After making the registration, the planning of the ceremony may commence. For marriage in a Catholic church, it will be necessary to establish some linkage with that particular parish and church. Some residency will be required, so immediately after the registration is made would be the time to contact the parish priest who will know details of any other diocese qualifications. Of particular importance is the fact that divorced persons may not marry in a Roman Catholic church; however a Church annulment permits a ceremony in the Church. Marriages in a Roman Catholic church proceed by one of four means: by Episcopal license; after the publication of banns; by ordinary ecclesiastical license, or on production of a certificate from a register of civil marriages. The process is a bit different for Church of Ireland marriages where at least one of the parties must be Protestant Episcopalian. It should be noted that the Church of Ireland strongly discourages persons coming from abroad just to get married in Ireland. A civil ceremony is an alternative to a religious ceremony and is more administratively convenient, if lacking in atmosphere. Aside from the three months' notice of intent to marry, the residency requirements for the area in particular must be met. Cost of the ceremony is relatively cheap--£32.50. This applies to both civil and religious ceremonies. Listed below are some addresses which may be useful. Note the Dublin City and County Marriage Registrar's office is scheduled to move. It is not listed in the telephone directory, however, a recorded message with the new address and telephone number should be on the line, and letters will be forwarded to the new address." Dublin City and County Marriage Registrar 31 Molesworth Street Dublin 2, Ireland Tel.: (01) 676 3218 Circuit Family Court Office and High Court Office Four Courts Dublin 7, Ireland Department of Foreign Affairs 80 St. Stephen's Green Dublin 2, Ireland Tel.: (01) 478 8022
stockbroking bride Posts: 2642
Most of the people I know who live in NY (either Irish or Naturalized US Citizens) have married legally at City Hall first. My cousin is getting married in Novemeber in Ireland she is a Naturalized US Citizen and he is Irish they will do the legal thing in NY the week before travelling over. Otherwise they have to re-establish residency here before the wedding.
Thanks for the replies, but it's not precisely what I'm looking for, as I'm familiar with all those rules posted. We don't have the residency requirement as we are getting married in a Catholic church. We also don't want to have a seperate civil ceremony back here in the U.S., either before or after; I don't think we have to, really, though I understand it may make things easier. We have together all the legal and church document necessary for the [i:3ad2egxh]Ireland[/i:3ad2egxh] portion of things, it's a matter of what we need back in the [i:3ad2egxh]U.S.[/i:3ad2egxh] once the wedding is over to have the marriage certificate recognized. I'm wondering if anyone in our exact situation (both American, marrying in Ireland, perhaps even New York State residents, though that may not matter) that has already gone through this process can let us know what they had to do. Thanks again.
pamoynih Posts: 50
I am American and getting married in Ireland next April. My fiance' and I are doing a pre cana course through the Irish Pastoral Center in Boston and they are handling all the paperwork to make the marriage legal in the U.S. also. You might want to see if your local Irish Pastoral Center has something similar.
Thanks Pimoynih - I wasn't aware of the Irish Pastoral Centers - I'll send them an email and maybe they can help!
Still looking for those elusive American couples... :)
One last bump I guess before I let this thread die... :o(
SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
hi Craig :wv do you not have a site similar to this in America? If you do - maybe you'd be able to find someone that got married over here? Hope you got the music sorted out! Best wishes, Siobhán *)