Question for the teachers

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

benny313 Posts: 821
Hi ladies I am just beginning to fill out the MB10 form. I am a secondary school teacher and due babs on the 7th Jan. My question is can I carry my maternity leave in to Sept. I would have used 24 weeks up untill the summer holidays, so 2 weeks left over and then add on 5 weeks of holidays (Christmas, Easter and mid-term), I would have 7 weeks left over. If I cant carry it over to September would I be allowed use it before the baby is due? I am so so confused, O:| any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance *)
mtv Posts: 935
hi i am not at the form filling stage yet but i found made the most sense. look for the information leaflet/section on the website called "maternity leave and paternity leave for second level teachers". hopefully it will answer your question.
milis Posts: 7998
Your maternity leave will have to officially begin on the 28th December, which is 2 weeks before the end of the week you are due in. You count 26 weeks then, and that's your maternity leave. If you are not intending to take unpaid leave, you will get your 6 weeks back from the 1st day back at school in August. If you do want to take unpaid leave, then that has to be taken before the 6 weeks holiday leave, which would leave you unpaid for July and August.
wombats Posts: 665
[quote="Milis":1ce1fxen]If you do want to take unpaid leave, then that has to be taken before the 6 weeks holiday leave, which would leave you unpaid for July and August.[/quote:1ce1fxen] You don't have to take unpaid before the 6 weeks holidays. I was on mat leave last year and took 26 weeks, then 6 weeks hols then took unpaid for another 8 weeks until i went back. Basically, if you are starting maternity leave on December 28th, just get a calendar and count 26 + 6 weeks forward ignoring all school holidays. When you get to the end of those 32 weeks, that's when you're due back at work. If this falls during the summer then it's probably not worth taking unpaid leave but obviously that's your own choice. You may decide that it works better to start your mat leave earlier and have it run until beginning June and then just take summer holidays as usual and be due back to school in August/September next year? If you're unsure, ask any questions as I've been through this last year. hth
speedy55 Posts: 512
hi benny, i'm due on the 4th of feb so i'm going to leave early, at xmas time, as you can't add on the time at the end, ie september. the last time i was pregnant i rang the department in athlone and someone was able to go through the dates with me to confirm i was correct. its difficult enough to figure out.
Terrier Posts: 283
Hi Benny, Im also a secondary teacher and due Dec 23rd. You are entitled to take your maternity weeks before hand. I'm not very tuned into this but my VEC did my dates and I can go on the 23rd October and be back next Sept. If i go on my Mat leave in Dec my weeks will be taken up by my summer hols.
[quote="BabyNo2":1hvlyi4d][quote="Milis":1hvlyi4d]If you do want to take unpaid leave, then that has to be taken before the 6 weeks holiday leave, which would leave you unpaid for July and August.[/quote:1hvlyi4d] You don't have to take unpaid before the 6 weeks holidays. I was on mat leave last year and took 26 weeks, then 6 weeks hols then took unpaid for another 8 weeks until i went back. [/quote:1hvlyi4d] They changed this rule in January, when they changed the way we get maternity benefit.
Thanks for all the replies girls. Right, I am after hearing about the new rule of not being allowed carry over the holidays to September. So can you check this and see if its right for me, i reang the VEC there and got talking to a lady who was not very helpful but I am allowed to start maternity leave up to 14 weeks before baby is due, so that means I can start at the october midterm, I think O:| O:| I have to offically start Maternity leave on the 28th of Dec, from this week to the summer holidays would be 23wks, so if I count backwards then with 3 weeks leftover and add on the 6 weeks of holidays it would bring me to the end of the October mid-term break. Could anyone tell me if this is right!!!!!
I would ring the DES directly, holidays do carry over the summer, it would not be fair otherwise, and unless they've changed that rule in the last week, the advice the VEC gave you is wrong. you only get back the holidays that fall within the 26 weeks, so it may not be a full 6 weeks you are entitled to if you go earlier. If you finish up on the 28th December, you should be due back in October some time (depending on return date next September), I really can't see how the holidays wouldn't cross over from one school year to the next.
Thanks Milis, well I rang the VEC again and got speaking to a lovely woman who knew her stuff, and yes I can carry over my remaining maternity and holidays. So if I went at the Christmas holidays I would'nt be back untill the end of October. But I work in quite a rough area of Dublin and don't think I would be able to handle the students when that heavily pregnant, so I think im going to finish up around the 4th of Dec and not back then untill 4th of October. Such a relief to have that sorted it was driving me nuts!!!!! O:| Thanks to all you lovely teachers, I am only back 2 days and I am wrecked!!