Question from TTCer about AF after pill

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

LoveLife123 Posts: 2138
Hi girls, How long did it take you to get your AF back properly after coming off the pill? I was on it for 10 years and since coming off it in Dec only had one sort of AF for 2 days back in Jan so nearly 4 months now with nothing. Did any of you experience anything similar or is there really something wrong with me :o( I was at the docs one about a month ago but was turned away so am just trying to make an appt with another doc now but just wondering if this is a common thing or not. I know people will say it takes 6 months to a year for your body to readjust but I just want to know have any of YOU actually experienced this.... Thanks :wv :thnk
Aquafina Posts: 354
It varies from person to person. My cycle has always gone straight back to normal when I've come off the pill. Came off the pill last November and got pregnant straight away. (Wasn't trying to get pregnant!)
Babystar Posts: 195
I was luckly any mine came quite soon after coming off the pill. However many other people it does take up to 6-12 months. When I came off, the doc said to me to come and see her if it didn't come back just so she could check everything was fine. So you are perfectly right to want to see the doc just for peace of mind - don't let them turn you away. Good luck
oohbaby Posts: 164
Hi Love Life I was similar, on pill for nearly 13 years :eek and came off in June 2007. For first two or three months AF like clockwork (which would have been unusual for me) and then after that next three periods were crazy, think one cycle was something like 82 days long!! And after that it was anyones guess, so using OPKs was out the window for me. I posted a few times in TTC too so have a look there, but after 16 months I did get BFP with no intervention. Two things that I think really helped were buying Taking Charge of Your Fertility, which Im sure youve already read about on TTC forum. It should be taught in secondary school as far as Im concerned, the amount I did not know before reading it was amazing. As a result of reading it I started taking my temperature every morning, which isnt as tedious as it sounds, and it really shows you firstly how accurate it all is and secondly if you are ovulating at all, which is crucial to know. If you are thats half the battle, and if not you might need some simple blood tests that your GP can do. Also might be worth getting himself checked out, HARI unit in the Rotunda are very good. I did my very best not to obsess over it, which is hard but so important to relax, and I was 31 when I got pregnant so I did feel the ticking of the clock. Also, and cant recommend this enough, I went for accupuncture sessions with a girl specifically focused on fertility. It was so good for relaxation and she had trouble conceiving herself so knows all about it, and is quite young so really easy to talk to. PM me if you'd like her details (shes in south Dublin). Please please please stay positive. Its so hard, and I know all very well coming from someone whos pregnant now but being relaxed and positive can only help your body do its thing, so do whatever it takes to chill out, and dont get too caught up with timing. Quality of BDing just as important as quantity!! If I could give one piece of advice to anyone on the pill and thinking about having children within a couple of years is come off now! There are the lucky ones for whom it happens straight away, but for the rest of us its one of the hardest things, and hard to talk about too cos if youre like me, you dont want people asking or pitying you! Anyway, very best of luck. You are still in the early stages so take heart and go out and enjoy yourself. Think I had decided to give the whole thing a rest and go out partying as much as possible which is when I got pregnant of course, just as I was getting into the swing of coming home when the birds were singing!! :babydust:
oohbaby Posts: 164
sorry, also to mention that the accupuncture really helped regulate my cycles a lot, and made them shorter so that at least you have more windows of opportunity... wishing you all the luck in the world :lvs
Thanks so much for the posts girls..... Oohbaby, you are very good to take the time to write that all out for me. I am temping alright since February and despite getting a few ++ on OPKs a while back no OV detected. This is a link to my pretty depressing chart! http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/23c448 I haven't been noting much about CM but I am going to now I was a bit lazy about it (mostly coz I was never exactly sure of what I was looking at even though I've read the descriptions its still hard to tell which exactly you are looking at! :o0 ) I've made an appt now to get my bloods done next Tuesday with the doc and would hope to go the natural (herbal) route once I get the results. I've never tried accupuncture and have actually heard a couple of good reports about it helping with fertility. I'm based in Wexford so I'll look somebody up here locally. As you said it is early days. I am 29 but I would like to have at least 2 kids and don't want to be trying to have them back to back (if I have a choice that is) I would like to space them out a little anyway if I can! So even though I'm not running out of time I just want to get going with it now that I'm married and finally in a place where I feel secure enough to start a family. Thanks for the help :wv
Silly question......does acupuncture hurt??? I'm a bit afraid of needles :-8 I know i'll have to get over it in fairness if I get pg but just wondering....
milis Posts: 7998
My cycles never returned to 'normal' and in the 6 months I was ttc'ing, I Ov'ed twice, and two of those were in January! Your temps are all over the place, are you taking your temp at the same time every day? If you are then it would seem that your hormone levels have not returned to normal yet.
Thanks Milis, yeah taking my temp during the week at the same time every day and at the weekends a little bit later. I'd say the ole hormones are all over the place aswell coz i'm getting mad twinges in my tummy like i'm "trying" to OV and my skin has broke out, moods up and down etc. Temps are up at the moment and I am hoping that I may have OV'd on Sunday last which would be great BD timing. The next few days will tell I suppose but like I did play around with my chart adding in high temps for the next few days and it didn't give me CH so I'd say FF has given up on me at this stage!!!!
milis Posts: 7998
FF will not respond to you messing around :o0 You need to have consistant low temps for 3 of the 5 days before Ov for FF to give you CH. It does look like you may have Ov'ed, that looks like an Ov dip, and then a rise. Hopefully that'll be the end of it!