Question - Hope ye can help

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

wexfordbell Posts: 1065
Was with my constultant this morning and he referred me to hospital mext monday for a scan. I have just looked at the Booking form and it says mature placenta. Does anyone have experience of this or can they tell me what it means in relation to me and baby?
babydust Posts: 124
sorry, no idea... hoe long are you gone? Have you s book you could consult? Don't look up the internet!
Martiespride Posts: 997
leave this one to the professionals..... ive looked up the net and have come across a million different answers, none of them the same!
WinterGal Posts: 835
Mrs. Bolger try not to worry, if it was something serious surely he would have sent you for a scan before Monday.
Thanks girls. Looked it up and like martiespride a million different answers.....
theoracle Posts: 7664
Mrs Bolger, may I ask how it come about that he requested another scan, did you just have one upon which he said 'mature placenta' or why did he come up with that? Mature placenta is not a condition as such, the only worry would be that the placenta matures too slowly or too quickly, but this can only be determined by scan. If they see that the placenta is maturing quicker they will not let you go over you due date and will bring you in early, that's all.
Thanks for the reassurance.... Have a scan on monday perhaps to c how it is progressing. My due date is 2 weeks time.
theoracle Posts: 7664
He might just be a cautious guy, you never know. Some consultants have routines that others don't depending on their experience/views. I had cholestasis and they were scanning me every 2 weeks, allthough I had a very mild form that resolved itself before end of pregnancy, but they were leaving nothing to chance. Let us know how you get on.
Delish Posts: 4176
Mrs Bolger, I think, am really not sure, I'm basing this on titbits of conversations with other mothers; that when you get to your due date the placenta can start to disimprove, as in, the placenta sort of acts like the liver for the baby, getting rid of toxins and supplying nutrients, as far as I know after 42 weeks the placenta will stop doing it's job as well and therefore women are induced at 42 weeks. Perhaps your placenta is slowing down and not filtering as well as it should. I see that you are 38+ weeks. Don't worry you will be fine, at worst they might induce you, which is fine as baby is full term at 37 weeks. So don't worry you will be fine. All of the above is just one possible explanation that I can think of so maybe it would be best to give your doc a call just to confirm.