Question re new passport

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Angel! Posts: 1494
Hi Girls, Quick question, I want to apply for a new passport in my married name. There's still 6 years left on my current one, and I don't want to wait 6 years before I can book a holiday in my new name !! Anyway, when I apply for a new one, do they take the old on off you? Or do they just stamp it with 'Cancelled' and give it back to you? I really don't want to give up my current one cause it has so many stamps in it from all my trips to SA, and the honeymoon !!! Anyone know ????
brideeee Posts: 1490
They send you back the old one with the corner clipped off and cancel it, Fear not you can still keep memories from single life ;-) I only re-newed mine last year and have to shell out another 80 euros to chnage my name - Ughh!! xx b
Spudnik2b Posts: 1804
Hey Bokkie, i've been told that when you want to change your name on your Passport, they just actually change the original Passport if there are that many years left, I have 7 left so was asking around and that was the reply, if you ring the Passport Office in Molesworth St, they would be able to tell you straight away though but from heresay, you continue with that one, just change of name!!!!
Woodstock Posts: 1565
yup, similar situation... I got my e-passport renewed 3 weeks before wedding so i have a full 10 years to wait ;o( and really want to change it but keep the stamps following honeymoon :o)ll Rang up embassy (have to go there anyway to authenticate marriage cert in English) and the guy on the phone said we can do the passport while we're there... I still get to keep the old one but it's voided... last time took about 6 weeks to receive new passport.. >:o(
MrsKA Posts: 878
You get the old one back with the corners cut off it. You will have to fork out the money for the new one. Also you can get your drivers licence changed for free. It will be valid for the amount of time left on your current licence.