Menu

quick poll: Red wine

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

the bees knees Posts: 755
Hi all, probably done a million times before , but just wondering what the most popular red wine would be for a wedding ???? Many Thanks!!!!! edited to add more options
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
I voted Pinot Noir but to please most people you are probably better off with either a Merlot or cab sav
ninja next Posts: 1548
[quote="Girl Meets Pearl":1bvvmhr1]I voted Pinot Noir but to please most people you are probably better off with either a Merlot or cab sav[/quote:1bvvmhr1] same here - I also love a Rioja. But to suit the masses would prob go cab sav
PalomaSeven Posts: 48
Also voted Pinot, think it is particularly nice for summer wedding as it is a light red. Love rioja too. I think some rioja can be crowd pleasers. Not a fan of merlot.
jezabelle Posts: 607
I love merlot, we had cab sav for our wedding as it is the most popular, and i have to say everyone loved it and it was shockingly cheap!! I do like Pinot Noir actually I love it!! .............. but its one of the only wine's that suffers badly when its cheap!! You could get a nice cab sav that would be a crowd pleaser starting from €4-€5 a bottle if you keep an eye on offers, were the Pinot Noir with offers you'd be looking at €8-€9 minimum!!
Thanks all,.... not a big red drinker myself and H2b hates the stuff.... Its funny because if i had to choose it would probably have been a Shiraz but glad I asked now and its great to get others opinions.... I edited the poll to add your suggestions!!!!!
Blossom Cherry Posts: 2701
[quote="jezabelle":2184j6ff] I do like Pinot Noir actually I love it!! ..............[b:2184j6ff] but its one of the only wine's that suffers badly when its cheap!! [/b:2184j6ff] You could get a nice cab sav that would be a crowd pleaser starting from €4-€5 a bottle if you keep an eye on offers, were the Pinot Noir with offers you'd be looking at €8-€9 minimum!![/quote:2184j6ff] +1 to all of the above
platinumbride Posts: 751
Will you be buying the wine in bulk from a supermarket or choosing from the venue? I only ask because they have a gorgeous Red wine in Aldi for 3.49. Its Montepulciano D'Abruzzo Italian wine. We love it and get a bottle every week :-8 If you were to get this wine in an Italian restaurant it would be €25-€30
jezabelle Posts: 607
[quote="platinumbride":2cd9z3ku]Will you be buying the wine in bulk from a supermarket or choosing from the venue? I only ask because they have a gorgeous Red wine in Aldi for 3.49. Its Montepulciano D'Abruzzo Italian wine. We love it and get a bottle every week :-8 If you were to get this wine in an Italian restaurant it would be €25-€30[/quote:2cd9z3ku] That wine is lovely i paid €19 last Friday for it in our local thai restaurant and Lidl had it on sale that week for €2.99 a bottle. That’s 6 bottles for €17.94 amazing value these offers are super for weddings and your guests won’t have a clue!! I used to work in a wine shop and Irish people like to think they are very sophisticated with wine, reality they aren’t................... we do know what tastes nice but luckily the wines that taste nice for our palate’s aren’t that expensive!!
just bumping this up for some more opinions please!!!!! :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll