quick question about maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

strawberry shortcake Posts: 9094
girl in work is due in dec but really wants to leave now, shes here a year if she leaves will she get her maternity leave when babs is born?
pricilla Posts: 1564
Sorry, I don't understand the question. Does she want to leave the job entirely, or take her maternity leave now, before the baby is born? Sorry, I just don't get it.
she wants to leave the job now entirely and stay at home until baby is born
Baby cakes Posts: 1237
her maternity benefit would be based on if she was working last yr, nothing to do with this yrs. get her to ring SW maternity benefit section, they will tell her, I wouldnt just up and leave, get her doc to sign her off
pricilla Posts: 1564
I do HR as part of my job inc. maternity leave, so I only know a small amount.... if she really wants to leave and the job is causing her stress, she could go sick until the baby is born and then take her maternity leave then. She can (as far as I know) take the maternity leave now up until the baby is born, but then she will be jobless and unpaid after having the baby.
thanks girls ye i said to suggested she get doc to sign her off when she comes back from hols, she wont be coming back here well thats what she told me
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
If her baby is due within 16 weeks she can take her ML now, but it is deducted off her 26 weeks so she will only be paid for 10 weeks after baby is born. The AMOUNT of maternity benefit she receives is based on her PRSI payments for 2005, but she must be in employment the day before she takes her ML in order to get maternity benefit, and it can be taken anytime from 16 weeks before to date to 2 weeks before due date. Hope that makes sense.
notlongtogo Posts: 5040
Just to add, i see baby due in Dec so just deduct 16 weeks from then and thats the earliest she can take ML and get paid.
ye grand NLTG thanks
bibikay Posts: 644
[quote="Pricilla":2g432nox]I do HR as part of my job inc. maternity leave, so I only know a small amount.... if she really wants to leave and the job is causing her stress, she could go sick until the baby is born and then take her maternity leave then. She can (as far as I know) take the maternity leave now up until the baby is born, but then she will be jobless and unpaid after having the baby.[/quote:2g432nox] You "do" HR, and you're advising someone to take sick leave, even though they are not sick ????? The OP makes absolutely no reference to stress or sickness - it sounds like the lady is just fed up in her job and wants to leave. If that's the case, then leave. Why lie and claim sick benefit when not sick ?