Rant estate agents

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lillyD Posts: 59
Sorry a bit of a rant here, maybe I should put this in another section. I am fuming, we are in the process of buying a house, have been looking for the last 6 months and I can honestly say that estate agents are the most unhelpful bunch I have ever seen. They don't follow anything up, barely returning calls, incredible really, you would swear they are selling houses like hot cakes! Anyway, this Saturday we saw a house that potentially we really liked, I have arranged with a friend of a friend to organise a viewing this week to assess the work that has to be done etc.. and in my naive frame of mind rang this morning asking for a 2n viewing this week, if possible tomorrow or Wednesday. But NO they are too busy. No free agents until next Saturday to show the house to anyone :eek :eek :eek :duh: Recession????? I just don't understand. Sorry for the bad rant. Probably insignificant problem comparing to others.
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
Well my mom has been involved in the sale of a house for over a year, with several sales falling through for one reason or another, and she would have the same opinion as you on estate agents :o0 The EA my mom was dealing with has literally hundreds of house on their books, twice as many as they had when my mom's sale started. They now charge to put a house on their books so the more houses that are there to be shown, the more money they rake in but it must be a nightmare to manage. I would wonder too, with less houses being sold and EA's earning less fees, are they on a shoestring budget so overtime for agents showing houses in the evenings is cut or something? Are the agents that show the houses on a 3 day week like half the country, is one agent doing the work of two as others have been let go etc etc. I can understand you are frustrated but IMO giving one day's notice and expecting a viewing that quick is being a little optimistic :-8
lillyD Posts: 59
thanks for replying :-8 Yes unfortunately you are right, I was optimistic. I guess I was too eager, but it is so frustrating. All these months we found extremely hard to view a house during the week, in 90% cases the only viewing hours for houses are Saturdays, at very specific times. So that rules evening and even lunch times, where a lot could be done. This house is by the way empty. And the estate agent office is in the same neighbourhood as the house in Dublin. I dont know how it works, if agents are on 3 day weeks or doing the job of others, these are very tough times for everyone, but would it not make more sense in the interest of sellers, to be more flexible regarding viewing times for potential buyers?
IvytheTerrible Posts: 950
Oh I'd say if sellers knew the half of it, they'd be throttling the f*ckers with bare hands :ooh The impression I get is, everything is on their terms? If you are really interested in the house, keep at them though and show them you mean business. It's difficult not to get excited when you see a place you really love. One thing I will say though, they seem to have a lot of buyers who have problems drawing down funding or maybe that was just my mams case so I suppose that's why they don't get excited or break their neck because it could all be for nothing. Best of luck with it :wv