Rant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

alton Posts: 3077
People have my head wrecked lately with their stupid stories. I can understand (to some extent) that people who have gone through difficult labours have a need to share their experience and talk about it, but why do people who have never had children insist on repeating them??? One of DH's friends told me the other night how a friend of her's had an excrutiating 36 hour labour, which set off a round of "you think that's bad, I can tell you a worse one" stories. To be honest the stories themselves don't bother me because what will be will be, and worrying about it now is only wasting this lovely pregnant time, but I can't get over how insensitive and tactless (or is it downright nasty?) people are in telling them. And it's not just the horrifically painful labour experiences that people insist on telling. I can't get over the number of people who have told me stories about stillbirths and birth complications. Ok rant over!!!
MrsJayKay Posts: 3025
I know what you mean. Especially about the horrific birth defects stories!! A doctor that I went to see went on and on and on and on about a "severely deformed baby" that a patient of his had recently :eek Just because I was asking about when I get a scan!!!! I just annoy the people with the birth stories by saying "God that must have been awful for you, but MY baby will be perfect and arrive with no nonsense and completely toilet trained!" :o0 It usually stuns them into silence or else we just have a laugh about it and that ends the conversation! :o0 I [b:1bfixah8]do [/b:1bfixah8]hope my baby arrives in such a fashion :o0 :o0
RJR Posts: 962
this did my head in completely when pregnant BUT in the end I had a great labour, was only in the hospital 1hr 20 mins before DD was born, no drugs, and was able to go home in two days. It was my first baby, so just ignore all the horror stories - it CAN be done, and if you go in thinking it's going to be fine you'll have a much shorter and easier labour! good luck :wv
alton Posts: 3077
You'd think a doctor would know better than to tell you that MrsJayKay! I might try your line next time I hear one. Better than silently plotting to force them to watch a video of the whole experience in gory high definition detail >:o)