Raspberry Tea - when to start drinking & how much ?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Xmasbride Posts: 55
Hi Ladies, I'm 37 weeks & was told in Holles Street we could start drinking raspberry tea. However yesterday I had a call from the VHI babytalk midwife (really nice & helpful) but she mentioned that you need to be careful how much you take - obviously it's herbal & can induce labour.... Any advice appreciated - should it be a couple of cups a day, one/two etc ? It could all be a big waste of time...but worth trying anything... thanks
charli Posts: 5994
i heard after 37 weeks but dont know how much, sorry. im sorry it doesnt have major effects so id imagine its safe to drink say 2 cups a day if it had that effect im sure the maternity hospitals would use it instead of inducement drugs!! good luck - you are into the home straight now!!
Mrs J Posts: 387
I thought it was 36 weeks - don't know how much to drink as I took the tablet form. For what its worth, my waters broke 6 days before my due date though no contractions so I ended upbeing induced at 3cm to get labour moving.
jiggy_jo Posts: 1166
sorry girls, but why do you need to take this?
Ducky Posts: 2506
Supposed to help tone your uterine muscles, but can bring on contractions. I started at 38 weeks and drank as much as I could stand (fairly bitter) so probbaly had 2-3 cups a day. Did bring on Braxton Hicks when overdue but not enough to start me properly!!
NotHere Posts: 10273
I've been taking it for a few days now, just one cup a day though and whilst on my birthing ball! I'm covering all angles! :o0 I've started to put a half a spoon of sugar in it and keeping a spoon handy to stir after every few sips. Otherwise the end part is really strong, ick! The sugar helps the taste a lot for me.
littledolly Posts: 393
I started taking one cup a day from about 34 weeks, then gradually increased to 3 by about 36/37. You need to make sure it's raspberry leaf tea, rather than raspberry tea you are taking. I got sick of it, and took the tablets too.
Xmasbride Posts: 55
Hi girls Today is my first day of maternity leave - so I actually have time to go online again.... I've cleaned the house from top to bottom so not quite taking the relaxing route just yet.... probably will collapse later on back to bed... Thanks for the tips re: tea- I'll try it & we'll see...anything I suppose might be worth trying
NewGirl Posts: 1143
Where can you buy the Raspberry Leaf Tea or the tablet form? Does it taste like tea at all, I dont like tea myself and have tried herbal teas before and didn't like them either.
NotHere Posts: 10273
[quote="NewGirl":2tmyygjb]Where can you buy the Raspberry Leaf Tea or the tablet form? Does it taste like tea at all, I dont like tea myself and have tried herbal teas before and didn't like them either.[/quote:2tmyygjb] You can get it any of the health shops. Doesn't taste anything like tea, it's red in colour and to look at it you'd think it'd be like a blackcurrent lemsip! I'm getting used of the taste now though, it's better to let it cool down a bit and then you can take bigger gulps to get through it!