Re-Using Sterilser

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sue79 Posts: 175
Hi Ladies, this might seem like a pretty stupid question but I just wondered if anyone had any reservations about re-using steriliser on their second child? I got mine (its a Tommee Tippee Steam Steriliser) when I had my son 3 years ago. Its been in the press since then. I remember descaling it but I'm just wondering if there would be any reason I can't use it again this time around. It should be in perfect working order. I was just thinking of maybe letting it run twice before I use it, which should have it back to its sterile state. I know I still have ages to go before I'm due but I'm trying to work out if there is anything that I might need to buy that needs to be replaced after 3 years. half thinking of looking in the Jan sales to see if I can keep the costs down. thanks Sue
Milly83 Posts: 3620
I used mine on both of my children. I descaled it before I had DD and left it on the counter to air a bit. Never ran into any problems with it! I can't imagine why you couldn't use it again.
Sue79 Posts: 175
I know it probably seems like a pretty stupid question but I just want to make sure that I think of everything before baby comes. I'm definately more relaxed this time around and just don't want anything to not be considered. I just keep thinking that I have everything got from DS (which I prob do) so there is no need to be thinking of anything major this time. sue
Dr of love Posts: 425
I'd say its grand, can't see why it would be a problem at all. To be honest I'm not intending to use a steriliser at all. I have read that standard practice in the US is to put them in the dishwasher on a 65degree wash. My antenatal teacher also said that it was fine to wash them in hot water and then use them (as you would wash any normal dishes) but to use them right away if possible. I can't see why all this faffing with sterilisers is necessary, there are millions of babies in families not like ours.... to be diplomatic, who just give any old dirty bottle to their baby and I have never really heard of a problem with babies getting ill from non-sterilised bottles in underprivilaged houses (correct me if I'm wrong). I would think they would have to be very dirty to be a problem. I think its just another big marketing thing. AND they keep changing the guidelines on how to keep them suitably sterile so there must be a huge margin of error on this issue. ps. If you don't have a 'formal' and branded microwave steriliser, I believe it is perfectly fine and recommended to just use a big microwave proof container to do the same thing.
Silini2 Posts: 3834
I re used mine for my girls and I'll be using it again for this one please god!