Reasonable / cheap holidays

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

CestMoi Posts: 2162
I would like to try and find one of the so called cheap holidays that everyone else seems to get, but I cannot find. Looking at going in September 2010, so when is the best time to look for best offers? This time next year or now? Don't really know if we will be able to go, but if I research it and get a good price it might be a winner with the hubbie! I would like to go to portugal or maybe crete (been to both before and they are nice). I see some holidays on holidaysonline.ie - they seem to search all websites, but the prices are 350 - 400 that could work out at 700/800 for the 2 of us for 1 week! And that's self catering, so there is no way he'd go for that. We spent around 5k on the honeymoon and that was a once in a life time thing, he'd hit the roof if he thought it was nearly a grand to go away again. Where's the best place to look? Should I look for a package holiday or try and buy flights and accommodation separately? Am I kidding myself thinking I would get anywhere foreign for cheaper? Please help I really want to get a sun holiday, I haven't been on one in years!!! :o( :o0
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
My mum is trying to get away in the next few days, hoping there would be cancellations but there is nothing. I think the travel companies reduced the amount of holidays they were making so there are less of them and people are desperate to escape the rain and paying pretty much full price. Now September might be a bit cheaper but not much. She was quoted 620 for one week to Lanzarote next week so that seems to be the going rate per person. I think you are better booking flights and getting the hotel yourself, if you are able to book that far in advance.
Thanks for the reply, I think I'm just disappointed because you see the offer €399 for X holiday, but you never read the small print - its PER PERSON! Bit like being in US and tax is not added onto the prices, you think you have a bargain until you go to pay! Oh well, will just get saving for the following year! Although hope to have a baby by then, so things will be different!
jenni123 Posts: 15
I booked a week in Costa Del Sol in May for my mam. Booked flights with Ryanair while they were cheap, flights worked out €100 pp and then a self catering apartment with EVERYTHING in it, 5 mins from the beach through ownersdirect website. Great prices for accomadation, the only thing is it takes a while to search through all the accomadation and prices get slightly dearer for Summer months late June/July/August...HTH :wv
Oh thanks for that, I've heard about someone renting an apartment before, but didn't know about the ownersdirect website. Going to check this out!
Missus Lippy Posts: 5879
I suppose they have to price it per person as all holiday groups come in many sizes. I have heard of a couple of people through work who have done house swap. This would be in the US though so not a cheap option but I suppose it depends on where in the US and availability of cheap flights, not sure if European options would be available.
Mrs Unichick Posts: 1004
Try http://www.gohop.ie/ as they sometimes have cheap enough deals and you can check if you have flexible locations and dates. Got a hol to Portugal for €345 each going in Sept. It was advertised as €279pp but that was 4 people sharing. However when I shopped around for the same hol go hop was working out a lot cheaper than budget, falcon etc so I'd say they are one of the cheapest around.
Thanks! I'll keep my eye out for offers, but I think I may get saving! Even the apartment & flights offers with the owners direct website still works out at €700 odd, even though the apartment is only €280 per week the flights are €195 pp with aer lingus and even dearer with ryanair! When it comes to booking it I'll just agree some dates that suit my hubby and not tell him the prices until after we've been! >:o)
jenni123 Posts: 15
Ryanair prices change all the time keep an eye on them every few days, you might be lucky and get a good deal. When i started looking in Jan the price was twice what i ended up paying booking in March. Aer lingus are very expensive!! Hope you get something
shoppergal Posts: 1179
I think booking flights and accom seperately is the way to go. My parents are going to Torrevieja in Spain the last week of Sep with my aunt and uncle. For the 4 of them, flights with Ryanair and a 2 bed apartment and car hire for a week is less than 800 quid.