Recipe for tasty cupcakes!? (",)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovebettyboop Posts: 106
I am looking to start baking cupcakes anyone have a nice recipe? And also I need a recipe on the buttercream too :-8 Thanks :thnk Posted this in food and drink also....
New Mrs Posts: 660
For the cupcakes, 4oz of self raising flour, 4oz margarine/butter, (its lighter with margarine!) 4oz caster sugar (will see the granules with ordinary sugar) 2 large eggs teaspoon of vanilla essence (if you want to make chocolate buns, use 3oz flour and 1oz cocoa Whisk the butter and sugar together until there creamy, then add the eggs & vanilla essence and whisk. Then add the flour bit by bit until its all blended together. Bake at 150 for 20/25 mins. Buttercream icing 4oz butter (room temp) 20z of icing sugar 1 tablespoon milk or water whisk the butter until creamy and add the icing bit by bit and then the milk/water. Whisk away until its stiffish
Kaycee Posts: 2107
whatever recipe you go for, make sure you buy the best quality ingredients you can, full fat kerrygold or avonmore butter for example and creamy milk. m&s do lovely baking goods, organic flour, sugar etc. tesco also do organic plain flour, buy the best quality chocolate if you decide on choc cupcakes etc, i love green and blacks myself. use vanilla extract instead of vanilla essense makes for a nicer cupcake. make sure everything is at room temperature unless the recipe says otherwise! heres a great resource once you get going http://cupcakeblog.com/ and heres a great recipe Vanilla Cupcakes: 2 &3/4 cups plain flour 2 teaspoon baking powder 200g softened unsalted butter 1 &3/4 cups castor sugar 4 eggs 1 tblespoon vanilla extract 1 cup milk preheat oven to 170C. line two 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake papers. Sift together the flour and baking powder. In a separate bowl, cream the butter for 1-2 minutes. Add caster sugar a third at a time, beating for 2 minutes after each addition. After the last addition, beat until the mixture is light and fluffy and the sugar has almost dissolved. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 1 minute after each minute or until mixture is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined. Add a third of the flour to the creamed mixture and beat on low speed until combined. Add half of the milk and beat until combined. Repeat this process. Add the remaining third of the flour and beat until thoroughly combined; do not over-beat or the mixture will toughen. Spoon mixture into cupcake papers, filling each about three-quarters full. Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove cupcakes from the trays immediately and cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes before frosting. Vanilla Buttercream Frosting: (Makes enough for about 24 cupcakes) 220g softened unsalted butter 1/2 cup milk 1 tbs vanilla extract 8 cups icing sugar Cream the butter for 1-2 minutes. Add milk, vanilla extract, and half the sifted icing sugar, and beat for at least 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the remaining icing sugar and beat for a further 3 minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy and of a spreadable consistency. Add extra milk if the mixture is too dry, or extra icing sugar if the mixture is too wet. doesn't hurt to half this recipe to be honest, it makes loads :wv
MrsBraxton Posts: 4662
I use same recipe as ms excited2b but I put some vanilla essence into buttercream icing, tastes yummy!! made some over weekend. when you're making the icing spend time making sure its smooth - takes a while to get the lumps out of the icing sugar/butter mixture. then with the cupcakes use self raising flour and again spend time mixing it so mixture is as smooth as possible. enjoy!! :)
Thanks for all your replies girls, oh God I am dying for a cupcake now! :hyper: They sound delicious! :o)ll Will give it a go during the week, Thanks again :wv
Hey girls, heading to tescos after work to buy my ingredients and going to make my cupcakes tonight!!! just a quick question.... How to I make coloured buttercream frosting??? Do I just add a colouring (like you'd use to colour icing sugar and that?) There are sold in little glass bottles O-O Oh and how much would I put in? :wv
JellySnakes Posts: 2201
Hi i made cupcakes from this thread during the week, they were yum! I used the food colouring in the little glass bottle,just a drop or 2 is loads!
[quote="JellySnakes":2yahoxe2]Hi i made cupcakes from this thread during the week, they were yum! I used the food colouring in the little glass bottle,just a drop or 2 is loads![/quote:2yahoxe2] Ah thanks Jellysnakes!!! Oh I can't wait to get home and stuff my face, pan out on the sofa watching TV!!! :o)ll Hope you have a lovely weekend :wv
star bride Posts: 130
Hi Ya, If you fancy something different, try these peach cupcakes. they as super yummy!! 1 can of peaches 115g self raising flour 115g caster sugar 115g butter or marg 2 eggs Whipped cream to decorate!! Beat butter and sugar together add one edd at a time and a tbsp SR flour Fold in remaining flour. Drain the peaches, Cut up 3/4 of the tin into chunks and fold into mixture. Bake @ 175 for 25 mins, Decor with cream and peaches. Makes 12
[quote="star bride":3arh7zcn]Hi Ya, If you fancy something different, try these peach cupcakes. they as super yummy!! 1 can of peaches 115g self raising flour 115g caster sugar 115g butter or marg 2 eggs Whipped cream to decorate!! Beat butter and sugar together add one edd at a time and a tbsp SR flour Fold in remaining flour. Drain the peaches, Cut up 3/4 of the tin into chunks and fold into mixture. Bake @ 175 for 25 mins, Decor with cream and peaches. Makes 12[/quote:3arh7zcn] Oh sounds yummy, thanks for that :wv