Recipe for Vol au Vent?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

louise7 Posts: 126
Hi All, Does andyone have a foolprrof recipe for chicken and Mushroom Vol au Vent? Tried one before and was a disaster... Tks A x
CappuccinoHeaven Posts: 1081
Hey, I always use this one: Put 1oz of butter and 1oz of flour in a saucepan and melt using a whisk over a low heat. Add milk, continuing to whisk until the mixture is of a smooth consistency and bring to the boil. There's no hard and fast rule about how much milk you should add ....I don't add too much as you don't want the mixture too runny, add enough so that the mixture is a little thick (the mushrooms will thin it out). Then add the chopped mushrooms, as many as you want. I add some onion at this stage also as it gives the mixture a nicer flavour. Reduce heat and simmer (very low heat) for 2-3 hours. I know this might sound like a mad amount of time but it really improves the flavour. Make sure that every now and again you stir the mixture so it doesn't stick to the pot. During the last half an hour add in the cooked chicken. Don't forget to season with black pepper! I like this recipe because it is up to you the quantities of mushrooms for example that you can add. This recipe makes approx 5 large vol-au-vaunts. Hope this is of some help!!
Easy Tiger Posts: 2676
Eh yum! I have the hangover munchies.
YumYum Posts: 482
Hi, I made up my own but it is seriously high in fat, but soo soo soo scrumptious. Cook the chicken pieces until fully cooked, sliced mushrooms and onions and garlic, saute the way u like them, add in the chicken and then a tub of cream or two, add some seasoning to taste and then keeping adding some white grated cheddar to thicken until u get to consistency desired!! I use this with pasta and vol u vents. HTH.
brideeee Posts: 1490
Hi ya Here goes: Cut strips of rashers (smoked if your prefer) and fry them. Remove from pan and add chopped chicken breasts. When Chicken is near cooked drain off excess fat/liquid and add mushrooms and cooked bacon strips. Add 1 can oif Campbells Chricken and white wine soup and two thirds of that same can of water. Mixx, bring to the boil and serve over vol au vent cases you cook from frozen. I know it's the easy way out but it's really quick and tasty!! HTH xx b
Easy Tiger Posts: 2676
[quote="YumYum":3c7y5qa7]Hi, and then a tub of cream or two HTH.[/quote:3c7y5qa7] :o0 :o0
girlymum Posts: 696
I know its lazy but I use Campbells Mushroom soup too!
louise7 Posts: 126
:thnk Girls - yum,yum
Daisy Doo Posts: 1091
They sound yum!