Recommend a book for pregnancy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lovelycuppatea Posts: 481
Hi ladies, I just found out I'm pregnant :o)ll and am looking at buying a book. Something along the lines of what to expect when you're expecting. Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations? I'd be interested in something that covers the early weeks of baby being there too if such a book exists. Also heard that books for men exist too, anyone ever got OH one of those?? Thanks :wv
Mrs W Posts: 2923
Congratulations!! There's normally a chapter in the books for the daddies. I used to read bits out to OH, there's no way he would have read a whole book. I have WTEWYE and pregnancy for dummies which was very informative too
SparkleX Posts: 1057
What to Expect was my bible during last pregnancy! "The Blokes Guide to Pregnancy" is a good book for dads, lots of humour in it
hyperrational Posts: 697
I second the bloke's guide to pregnancy, my OH never reads books but read it a week and now is dipping into the relevant bits/chapters.
Lizzie02 Posts: 2624
What to Expect when you're expecting is fab. Good questions & answers.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
Another recommendation for What to Expect. It's a big tome but it is designed for dipping in and out of. Whatever symptom you have or question you have, you will find it in the index. It is most reassuring. My doctor recommended me to get it asap on my first pregnancy and it was good advice. Your Pregnancy Week by Week by Lesley Regan is another good one. Lovely for month by month development and pictures and the advice is very sound common sense - the author is an obstectrician and a mum of twins herself. Congrats on your pregnancy!
ciaraella Posts: 5323
+1 on what to expect but try and get it secondhand if you can, it's around €25 new, i got mine for 4 euro on play.com edited to add link http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/4667 ... 7b91%7d%2b
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
What Not To Expect - Zoe Williams
outdoorqueen Posts: 448
The Irish pregnancy book by Peter boylan
Delphinium Posts: 3027
[quote="outdoorqueen":28o2opad]The Irish pregnancy book by Peter boylan[/quote:28o2opad] +1. Read this too and found it a very common-sense book. Helpful that it is written by an Irish consultant also. Less detailed than the others though and my DH found it much more accessible and less intimidating than the others! It has everything you need to know for the most part though.