Recommend a Consultant in Cork.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SaJa Posts: 4282
Hey guys, Currently ttc-ing but thought I might start checking out for a good consultant in Cork at the moment and maybe put my name down at this stage as I know it can be difficulty to find one. Can you just give me a rough idea of what consultants are available and how good they are. Public or private? Thanks.
anyone?
mumof2 Posts: 3864
I would highly recommend Barry O' Reilly as he was fantastic to me when I had a m/c - professionally I think they are all the same, but I found his manner to be lovely and he spent loads of extra unnecessary time with me. If you go public you don't have a choice of consultants, you just get whoever happens to be on and in CMUH where I am going sometimes they are interns. When you go get your BFP go to your GP as early as possible to get a choice of consultants - I know esp. in Cork that if not booked early you could end up not being able to get anyone
Thanks septemberprincess, much appreciated.
pluto Posts: 3893
Hey hun, My guy is Dan McKenna - I haven't been to him yet, but a friend of mine is going to him and is very happy. She said he's very thorough, and has a lovely manner. What she loved about him also, was that he really included her hubby in everything during the visit, and made sure he understood everything that was going on, so he really felt a part of it all! Sher the poor fellas sometimes feel a bit left out when all the focus is on mammy!! Another recommendation from my own GP was Louise Kenny. I didn't go with her in the end because my GP said she was much busier than Dr. McKenna....solely because she is a female consultant! They're in the same clinic in the CUMH - I think Barry O'Reilly is there as well. You'll probably get recommendations from people for Dr. Waterstone too, but he's not taking any new patients. He's going out of gynaecology and concentrating more on IVF apparently. Good luck with it all!!! *)
Angel2 Posts: 787
Best of luck with ttcing Saja, I hope you get your BFP very soon. Oh Madgie, it's soooooooo great to hear of someone that has been to Dan McKenna. He was supposed to be my consultant and I didn't know anyone who knew anything about him. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be (because of the m/c) but his secretary said that I'm on their books now and the next time I get a BFP (please God) that he'll be my Consultant.
pluto Posts: 3893
[quote="Angel2":3iot7o88]Best of luck with ttcing Saja, I hope you get your BFP very soon. Oh Madgie, it's soooooooo great to hear of someone that has been to Dan McKenna. He was supposed to be my consultant and I didn't know anyone who knew anything about him. Unfortunately it wasn't meant to be (because of the m/c) but his secretary said that I'm on their books now and the next time I get a BFP (please God) that he'll be my Consultant.[/quote:3iot7o88] Angel, my friend actually miscarried at 11 weeks, and was on his books for that pregnancy. Like yourself, unfortunately she never got to see him for that pregnancy. When she rang to make an appt after getting her BFP, she got an appt at 13 wks, the week after her routine 12 wk scan. The secretary said he'd like to see her asap so he could monitor her and make sure everything was okay. She really was very happy with him so you've nothing to worry about there. And I never knew you were in Cork!
Thanks Madgie and Angel2, I've also heard that Dr. Curtin is very good but not sure if he is taking on new patients or not. Either Dan McKenna or Barry O'Reilly sound good. Any idea what they charge.
Also, would they think I'm a bit stupid to be ringing up now and putting my name down even though I'm not pregnant.
Angel2 Posts: 787
Dan McKenna charges €2,500.00. We were told we'd have to bring the first instalment of €1,000.00 to the first appointment.