Menu

Recommend a one day Ante Natal Class Dublin

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Princess09 Posts: 821
I work in Dub and I am attending Mullingar General hospital to give birth. as it's closer to me. Last (and 1st) appointment I had in Mullingar they asked me about attending Ante Natal classes, I said yes as I didn't really know how long, days/times etc. I got a letter in today of dates, 4 classes on Mondays from 2.00, and hubby only allowed attend last one (due to space constraints!) Even though I'm entitled to take it as time off from work, I don't want hassle of taking half days for a month to travel from Dub to Mullingar and hate that hubby cannot attend all, he wud net get time off his work anyway. I know other work colleagues have attended 1 day on a Saturday in Dublin hospitals as part of where the hospital they were attending. Does anyone know if I could call a Dub hospital to attend or is my only option to attend a private class on a Saturday? Plus I've heard so many varied reports on Ante Natal classes, some showing gorey videos of births, which is the last thing I want to see, so would love if someone could recommend a one day Saturday class. How much should I expect to pay for this also? I know health ins may cover some cost of class.
pag Posts: 633
I can only speak of Rotunda and they booked their classes for patients of the hospital only - you gave hospitalnumber when booking in. Also they ran their classes during the week over 5 weeks with varying days and times. I wouldn't have thought this would be any different from the Mullingar ones. All other one day ones are about 150-200e and yes you can claim back some money on health insurance depending on your policy. I found it a very long day but DH got alot out of it. We did the one with newbaby.ie as they are parent educators in Rotunda too so we were able to book a tour of the delivery suite and ask all the questions pertinent to what happends in Rotunda. There was no video shown. The first session was very practical = positions for labour etc. the second half was about looking after baby and yourself and was abit yawn for most people but probably v useful for first time dads. Is there any way you can ask around to see if there are any private antenatal courses in evenings or wkends in the Mullingar area? I do think knowing the hospital policy of the hospital you are attending is important. Check out mumsandbumps.ie for private classes in midlands.
DollyMomma Posts: 1231
Doreen Buckley does one day antenatal classes in the Clarion Hotel in Liffey Valley, I didn't go myself but I've heard nothing but great reports about her. Her website is www.antenatal-class.ie Also heard great things about a company that do one day antenatal classes in Trim (that might suit you if you live near Mullingar?) The website for that one is www.2as1.ie Hope this helps!
Lizzy1 Posts: 4128
[quote="MissDiamonds":2ff3t03c]Doreen Buckley does one day antenatal classes in the Clarion Hotel in Liffey Valley, I didn't go myself but I've heard nothing but great reports about her. Her website is http://www.antenatal-class.ie Also heard great things about a company that do one day antenatal classes in Trim (that might suit you if you live near Mullingar?) The website for that one is http://www.2as1.ie Hope this helps![/quote:2ff3t03c] We did the 1 day class with Doreen and found her really good, DH got a lot out of it too. It cost 200 euro and you can claim some back off health insurance. The day can get a bit tiring but it's worth it and she give you 50-60 pages of notes too to read up on :wv :wv
Delphinium Posts: 3027
We also did the one referred to by Pag run by www.newbaby.ie. It was well worth it to us not to be racing into town on weekday evenings to the Rotunda for the hospital classes. The only video we were shown was on breastfeeding and they covered formula feeding very thoroughly as well. They were not hammering us over the head with the BF message either if that is something you might be concerned about if you have already made the decision to FF. They were very practical and no nonsense in all their advice and very entertaining also which made a long day easier to listen to and retain! The course is run on a Saturday in the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Blanchardstown and both DH and I found it very comprehensive and the midwives were extremely knowledgable and approachable. It cost €180 with €50 deposit payable at booking.
ructions Posts: 2689
I did this one. http://www.parentprep.ie/index.php
John Walsh Guitar
sally2010 Posts: 16
Sunshiner - what did you think of this course - do you recommend? Any1 do the Holles Street ones? Any strong opinions on the classes? :babydust:
angels 58 Posts: 236
bump
Marpat Posts: 1784
I've only ever heard good reports about Doreen Buckley from other people. Unfortunately I didn't particularly enjoy the class (6 years ago) as she singled me out as being the only person who had no partner with her. I was so embarrassed i just kept saying he had to work. He didn't. But I didn't particularly want him there nor did he want to be there. I had left him at home to assemble cot, buggy and paint the box room. things that were more important to me. Good luck anyway in finding a good class.
red2011 Posts: 87
Hi, I also did the newbaby.ie antenatal class on a Saturday and would definitely recommend