Recommend Kindle/E-reader

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

little miss may Posts: 392
Hi girls, thinking of getting DH a Kindle or e-reader for Christmas but haven't a clue where to begin! I imagine there's loads on the market but would like to hear opinions or advice from people that have one already.....
neuromancer Posts: 166
I realise this is basically no help but I am getting the Kindle Paperwhite this week for my birthday! My dad has the original kindle without the light. I've messed around with it a few times and it seems great. He loves it. My friend owns the original kindle without the backlight and her husband owns the Paperwhite and they both tell me his is much better. I have heard this from a few other people too. Reviews on amazon are generally extremely positive and since the paperwhite is newer I decided on that one. I have no experience of other e-readers so I can't help there.
Thanks a mil neuromancer, that's a great help! Will look into that. I hope that you enjoy your's when you get it!!
neuromancer Posts: 166
I'll report back to you when I figure out how to work it!
teapotty Posts: 2085
I love my Kindle Paperwhite, it's the only Kindle I have owned but I have used other people's older ones without the backlight and there is no comparison. It's super for reading in the dark if say the OH is asleep and you don't want the light on. Also the backlight has quite a good range so it's easy to set it depending if you are reading outside in sunlight or inside in the dark.
atina Posts: 2240
I have the kindle fire HD and I love it!
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
I got a kindle last year for Christmas and my sister got a paperwhite less than a month later. I cannot tell you how much I love my kindle, but if I was buying again, I'd pay the extra and get the paperwhite. I don't read in bed, but there's loads of times on public transport where the light is poor so an extra backlight would be appreciated. The fact that I can read in broad daylight without glare is amazing, it's so much easier on the eyes than a normal phone or tablet display.
Thanks so much girls for the info, looks like the Paperwhite is the one to go for! In relation to downloading books to the device (and I apologise if this is a stupid question, I'm totally clueless on the technology side of things!!), do you just need WiFi for the actual downloading or do u need it also for reading on the device if you know what I mean? Also, I was looking in the Argos catalogue & there's two types of Paperwhite. One is the regular Paperwhite & the other is the Paperwhite 3G. There's €90 of a difference between the two models. Not sure exactly what the difference between them is!!
I Dream in Disney Posts: 1592
Just for the downloading, once it's downloaded it'll be stored on the kindle itself so you don't need the internet. As far as I can see, the 3G would only be useful for downloading books on the go, maybe I'm wrong but I can't see why else you'd need it?
Sparkly Pooh Bear Posts: 96
I got the kindle fire and hated it, I found it heavy and too tablet like and not at all like a book. I'm keeping it for ds Christmas pressie. I then got myself the paperwhite and LOVE it. It's light, I love the feel of the screen, can't believe it took me so long to convert to an e reader, and I'm getting all my books free!