Recommend your knife block set!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

teapotty Posts: 2085
I want to buy my parents a good set of knives. We've got Newbridge ones which are good but we haven't had them long enough to know if they really last well, don't break etc over the years. Can anyone recommend me a good set- maybe a 5 knife set, really sharp, nice block, won't break the bank? Like less than €70 or so. Thanks!!
jamjars Posts: 1721
Ok, seriously you need to head up to TK Maxx, they have exactly what you're looking for! Either the one in Blanch or Carrickmines! They do really high quality knife sets; worth about 300/400 for 70-100. Under normal circumstances I think you'd find it really hard to get a good set for that price! I was in the carrickmines one last week and they had loads of different kinds. The blanch is usually the better store for homeware though! Be quick, they fly out and they seem to be in stock in cycles as opposed to a constant supply! ETA: I know all this because we bought an amazing one for friends as a housewarming and they were blown away. We went back a few weeks later to look for ourselves and nothing in sight, haven't seen them back in stock until now and typical it's right before Christmas when we can't really afford it! :duh:
bobbyjoe Posts: 395
[quote="jamjars":qg9zoh9j]Ok, seriously you need to head up to TK Maxx, they have exactly what you're looking for! Either the one in Blanch or Carrickmines! They do really high quality knife sets; worth about 300/400 for 70-100. Under normal circumstances I think you'd find it really hard to get a good set for that price! I was in the carrickmines one last week and they had loads of different kinds. The blanch is usually the better store for homeware though! Be quick, they fly out and they seem to be in stock in cycles as opposed to a constant supply! ETA: I know all this because we bought an amazing one for friends as a housewarming and they were blown away. We went back a few weeks later to look for ourselves and nothing in sight, haven't seen them back in stock until now and typical it's right before Christmas when we can't really afford it! :duh:[/quote:qg9zoh9j] +1 TK Maxx have fab deals on brilliant knife blocks. Always get stuff like that there now. I was only looking at them again recently and you will definitely find something in that price range
LastRolo Posts: 6892
+1 for TK Maxx! I bought mine in Arnotts but I've seen excellent knife block sets in TK Maxx
teapotty Posts: 2085
Deadly, I always forget about TK Maxx for kitchen things! Will try get to one tomorrow! Do you know the brand of the set you got for your friends jamjars?
islandlil Posts: 1059
We got a great set of knives called kitchen devils in Arnotts-set of five in a nice slim block and they are v sharp. O:o)
jamjars Posts: 1721
[quote="teapotty":2hmbvyv7]Deadly, I always forget about TK Maxx for kitchen things! Will try get to one tomorrow! Do you know the brand of the set you got for your friends jamjars?[/quote:2hmbvyv7] I don't sorry! And they're out of the country so I can't even ask them!! But they're all really good! I think how we ended up choosing was how much we were "saving" on the set! You know the usual... I know it costs more but look what the ORIGINAL price was?! :o0
Girl From Mars Posts: 1446
Got a fabulous set in one of the kildare village home shops, the brand name is Viners. They're excellent.
Dollydel Posts: 1726
I have the this knife block Only have it a year and the knifes are great but the block now looks awful. Its all faded from washing it. Its because it is wood painted black. I would stay away from a painted block.
LastRolo Posts: 6892
[quote="Dollydel":b4ejzqct]I have the this knife block Only have it a year and the knifes are great but the block now looks awful. Its all faded from washing it. Its because it is wood painted black. I would stay away from a painted block.[/quote:b4ejzqct] Mines a Stellar block too... but the block still looks grand.