Recovery after tonsillectomy

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Heavenleigh Posts: 1406
Hey girls, I got a tonsillectomy done two weeks ago. I was in hospital for a week and had two small bleeds after on day 5 and 10. Bleeding stopped itself after 15 minutes maybe. What I am wondering now is : When does the pain go away? I googled a bit and most people say pain starts to go away after two weeks, however, my throat is still very sore and I find it quite hard to swallow. I am eating quite normal again except very hard stuff and fruit. For any of you who got this done: When does the pain go away and when did you start to eat fruit or salads (vinegar) again? Thanks very much for your help :thnk
mrs bmw Posts: 6447
Hi I got my tonsils taken out when I was 21, was in hospital for a week and was off work for a month. I got a huge nosebleed the minute I got home from hospital and had to go back into the blood vessels in my nose cauterized. I was on volterol suppositries for about 3 weeks after the operation and just about anything else I could get my hands illegal and legal!!!! I can honestly say the recovery was horrific hang on in there xxx
moobear Posts: 1126
I had my tonsils out 12 years ago so the actual lenght that the pain lasted I cannot remember but I do remember the pain! I go the Difflam mouth wash & that really really aided the healing process - I highly recommend it. Once I started to use this the pain was gone in a matter of days. Get the mouth was not the spray though. Just to add that I was drinking ponstan (bottle per day) & calpol (bottle per day also) so I do know how you are suffering. I also found that sucking on ice cubes helped to ease the pain. The difflam is what really worked for me Hope you are feeling back to yourself soon :wv
hipbaby Posts: 4530
Hi there bet you are glad to be this side of the op!! I second the diflam mouthwas although I also remember using the spray and finding it ok?? you do need to eat rough things as well like crisps and toast. it does take a long time before pain goes i think it was closer to 6 weeks before I was back to normal but i did have other complications! Hope it eases soon! www.hipbaby.ie
smurph30 Posts: 72
I got mine out when i was 25 and was only out of work for seven days, not what you want to hear I suppose. I found the pain had about 90% gone after two weeks apart from a slight feeling of a sore throat. Everyone is different though i suppose. Aulin were the painkillers I had, which I think have since gone off the market but they were brilliant.
Heavenleigh Posts: 1406
Thanks alot girls....guess I will just have to hang on in there for a wee bit longer....BTW when did you all start eating fruit or vinegar again...? :wv
smaointe Posts: 189
Hi! i soooo symaptise with you. They dont tell ya all the bad things that come with getting tonsils out do they?? Nausea was the killer for me! And due to old (and worst) boss ever I had to go back to work after 10 days! anyway...i'd say go for them as soon as you feel like you can, i cant remember exactly how soon but i got a big bowl of fruit from work and i think i ate some of it within a few days of the op.