refund of dress deposit?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kitten_77 Posts: 826
just wanted to ask whether anyone has looked for a refund of a dress deposit before and if so what twas the outcome... what % did you get back? i put a deposit on a dress a number of months ago, and since then I've found out that a dress i love can be ordered directly from the flagship store in NY (isn't available over here anywhere). i still like the dress i ordered, but the NY dress is kind of my ultimate choice. Anyway, when i placed the order it was over a year before my wedding - i ordered at the time to avail of a 10% discount. Production hasn't yet started on the dress. Do you think I would be entitled to most of my deposit back? I understand if production has begun its different as the shop would be stuck with a dress to sell, or a half finished dress.. but since they haven't begun to make it i expected to be in a position to get most of it back. Would that be correct? anyone been in this situation and how did you get on? :thnk
lil kim Posts: 436
hi there, To be honest i doubt they will give you a refund even if production hasnt started yet. I just looked at the receipt i got from bridal shop and printed on the back are their terms and conditions.I would presume most shops would have similar terms. The first one states that to place and order a NON REFUNDABLE deposit of 50% must be paid. I would say it would depend on the owner of the shop to make a decision regarding a refund and in exceptional circumstances they might agree but this is highly unlikely.
marianf Posts: 5845
I wouldn't be hopeful of getting any of it back either.
dumdidum Posts: 105
you may not get your money back - but would it be transferrable onto another item, so you could get your shoes/veil/head piece there or even something for a member of your wedding party? throw them a whopper sob story and see how you get on....
Belleboo Posts: 924
[quote="kitten_77":3rj6y0fm]just wanted to ask whether anyone has looked for a refund of a dress deposit before and if so what twas the outcome... what % did you get back? i put a deposit on a dress a number of months ago, and since then I've found out that a dress i love can be ordered directly from the flagship store in NY (isn't available over here anywhere). i still like the dress i ordered, but the NY dress is kind of my ultimate choice. Anyway, when i placed the order it was over a year before my wedding - i ordered at the time to avail of a 10% discount. Production hasn't yet started on the dress. Do you think I would be entitled to most of my deposit back? I understand if production has begun its different as the shop would be stuck with a dress to sell, or a half finished dress.. but since they haven't begun to make it i expected to be in a position to get most of it back. Would that be correct? anyone been in this situation and how did you get on? :thnk[/quote:3rj6y0fm] I'd say as so much time has lapsed you're not likely to get your deposit back. Your best bet might be to sell it here or spread the word. Good luck.
kitten_77 Posts: 826
thanks girls. the shop got back to me and offered a small percentage back. I would feel too guilty though i think - leaving behind such a large sum of money with nothing to show for it. i'll prob just get the dress i ordered.... thanks for advice.