Registering your marriage - on News today

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

marianf Posts: 5845
Lunchtime news on RTE today was highlighting the plight of couples in Dublin who havent been able to get an appointment with the registrar in time for their wedding. Some had to go to court to be granted permission to marry on their wedding date. They suggest you make an appt asap and if you cant get one in Dublin, try Kildare or Wicklow. Church weddings can be registered in any county.
she Posts: 3298
Sure I rang a few weeks ago to register and get it out of the way and the earliest date I got was Feb next year, and its just a few weeks shy of the 3 month claus............so girls/boys get booking........ That was in Dublin BTW.....
TokenMale Posts: 6845
[quote="she":263tld6g]Sure I rang a few weeks ago to register and get it out of the way and the earliest date I got was Feb next year, and its just a few weeks shy of the 3 month claus............so girls/boys get booking........ That was in Dublin BTW.....[/quote:263tld6g] But that's not because there isn't an earlier booking, it's because you don't NEED an earlier booking. There's no point in them filling up the diary now. Far better to only give appointment just over 3 months before the wedding, that way it's fairer to everybody.
mad woman Posts: 22106
Do you have to make an appointment now? I'm told that you have also have to pay €150 now. When we got married three years ago, you just had to fill in a green form and send it in, no charge. Such a f**king rip off.
[quote="TokenMale":1tgyb0jc][quote="she":1tgyb0jc]Sure I rang a few weeks ago to register and get it out of the way and the earliest date I got was Feb next year, and its just a few weeks shy of the 3 month claus............so girls/boys get booking........ That was in Dublin BTW.....[/quote:1tgyb0jc] But that's not because there isn't an earlier booking, it's because you don't NEED an earlier booking. There's no point in them filling up the diary now. Far better to only give appointment just over 3 months before the wedding, that way it's fairer to everybody.[/quote:1tgyb0jc] I know, but I'm try to say that at least if they had it booked they wouldn't have to go down the lines of having to go to court, they leave it too late.........
[quote="mad woman":392vpphn]Do you have to make an appointment now? I'm told that you have also have to pay €150 now. When we got married three years ago, you just had to fill in a green form and send it in, no charge. Such a f**king rip off.[/quote:392vpphn] Just came in, in November Mad Women. You have to make appointment and both parties have to go and see the register with €150 as well........money making scam or what........it's alot of money considering it was free last year.....
TokenMale Posts: 6845
Absolutely, sound advice. I'll bet you 100 Euro that the story isn't giving the full details. I suspect some/many of the people who had to go to court made their first call to the office 3 months and 1 week prior to wedding or something.
[quote="TokenMale":2ew2u2f5]Absolutely, sound advice. I'll bet you 100 Euro that the story isn't giving the full details. I suspect some/many of the people who had to go to court made their first call to the office 3 months and 1 week prior to wedding or something.[/quote:2ew2u2f5] [b:2ew2u2f5]I bet your right[/b:2ew2u2f5]......... :o0 My cousin is getting married early Sept and I had to tell her about this, she's a DA DA!!!!!!!!She just about got her appointment 3 days before the 3 months.....
23skidoo Posts: 1272
I'm in the same boat as you, she. Got my appointment in December, exactly 3 months and 12 days before the wedding! She did explain it to me like that though, if I got an appointment next week someone getting married in August or whatever might be losing out. Makes sense but they wouldn't have to do it if people REGISTERED ON TIME! :o0 You silly people leaving things to the last minute. I'd never do anything like that :innocent:
mad woman Posts: 22106
[quote="she":2mm0k0c0] Just came in, in November Mad Women. You have to make appointment and both parties have to go and see the register with €150 as well........money making scam or what........it's alot of money considering it was free last year.....[/quote:2mm0k0c0] such a rip off.