Regular gym goers help!!!

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Wilma Flintstone Posts: 1262
Posted this in health and fitness too! I'm hoping for a bit of advice here, I'm trying to lose weight and I had a fitness plan done at the gym. I went today for the first time and after 5 mins on the treadmill and 5 on the cross trainer I started to feel sick and stopped, went in to do my toning instead and by the time I'd finished the exercises I felt so dizzy and faint and thought I would throw up! I actually struggled to drive the 15 min journey home as I was so dizzy! I do need to lose weight but I'm not completely unfit as I've been doing exercise videos/walking/swimming on and off for the last year. How can i stop this from happening again? I had 2 weetabix and a cup of tea an hour before I started and I drank at least a litre of water between waking and getting there. Please help as I really want to do this but don't fancy fainting in the gym :(
havemovedon Posts: 2013
I replied to you in H&F. O-O
Cinnabon Posts: 2626
Has it ever happened to you before? It sounds like you are low on sodium or electrolytes which could be worrying if this happened only after a few minutes or maybe you tried to start off at too high a pace - maybe slow it down for the first few times. Before I go training I eat a banana an hour beforehand and drink diluted sports drinks - they have the right balance of electrolytes etc in them but I find them too sweet so that's why I water them down. Some people can eat more or heavier food before exercising but I can't. If it happens again maybe have a check up with your doctor - anyone starting a new exercise regime if not used to it should really have a check up beforehand.
dresstoimpress Posts: 1719
Used to happen to me on the treadmill. :-8 Drink about a pint of water an hour before you go in. And start off slower on the bikes, or rowing machine ( sitting down)
Wilma Flintstone Posts: 1262
Its never been as bad before, I do find if I feel a bit shaky after exercising for an hour or more but this was 5 mins walking fast on the treadmill and 5 mins on the cross trainer and then floor exercises made it worse!! Maybe my body didn't have enough food or something so I'll eat more before I go tomorrow and weait for an hour at least...fingers crossed!!!
sinead266 Posts: 914
hi maybe your breathing to quick? i know if im running on the treadmill and not breathing right this happens to me,