religion confusion

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

angel01 Posts: 242
Hi girlies my little bean hasnt been born yet however its something that is cropping up in my thoughts and i was hoping some of you may be able to offer advice basically im protestant and my husband is catholic and im not sure what our choices are in terms of christening the baby - do we have to chose a religion can we just have the baby blessed until it is old enough to decide for themselves - its a very important decision and i suppose i just want some feedback - has anyone else had this issue thanks girlies xx :o)ll
MrsTiredbride Posts: 3397
You can do a naming party or ritual thing and have a close family friend who happens to be a priest come and bless the child. You don't need the baptism at all
nelly Posts: 1875
which one do you want to bring them up as? They are fairly similar anyway so don't worry!
well my husband isnt a practising catholic and i think to be honest i want a good reason why he and his family would beleive that this is the best way to bring our baby up - not only that but as i am a different religion how will this effect the stages that my baby will go through in its catholic beliefs etc - if you know what i mean - its all very confussing to me to be honest
ellee Posts: 666
Did ye get married in a catholic church?
elleq2 - we did but we had a mixed ceremony so that neither of us had to convert religion
MrsK07 Posts: 454
I think what you need to do is think about what kind of a school your little one will be going to. If it is going to go to a catholic school, you have to think about communion and confirmation time. And really its about what would be easier for the child. I don't really know too much about the Protestant religion to be honest.
Junewife07 Posts: 276
We are the same. i want my kids (if i have any) to be CoI as i want them to go to our local CoI school as there are only 360 people in the whole school. its where all our family went and you cant get in unless you are CoI. But just to be aware. i was asked to be a godmother to my nephew who is catholic and the priest (rc) wouldnt LET me be the godmother even though i had been married in a catholic ceremony. (he wouldnt marry us either) but as it turns out he couldnt do the christening as his brother died rthat day and the priest who married us did the christe4ning so i was the godmother. so just wanted to let you know how strict/narrowminded some of the rc priests are. I am choosing CoI for my kids as it is more laid back and not as many rules iykwim. not to insult ANYONE who is bringing up their kids rc. each to their own it will just suit me and dh better to have the CoI. Good luck with your decision. just re-read and i do ramble on alot sorry :-8
fantac Posts: 4109
[quote="JuneWife07":2ezw1cbm]We are the same. i want my kids (if i have any) to be CoI as i want them to go to our local CoI school as there are only 360 people in the whole school. its where all our family went and you cant get in unless you are CoI. But just to be aware. i was asked to be a godmother to my nephew who is catholic and the priest (rc) wouldnt LET me be the godmother even though i had been married in a catholic ceremony. (he wouldnt marry us either) but as it turns out he couldnt do the christening as his brother died rthat day and the priest who married us did the christe4ning so i was the godmother. so just wanted to let you know how strict/narrowminded some of the rc priests are. I am choosing CoI for my kids as it is more laid back and not as many rules iykwim. not to insult ANYONE who is bringing up their kids rc. each to their own it will just suit me and dh better to have the CoI. Good luck with your decision. just re-read and i do ramble on alot sorry :-8[/quote:2ezw1cbm] both my DH and i are proddy, and i agree with the above - CoI schools tend to be much smaller and have a WAY lower pupil to teacher ratio than catholic ones. certainly where we are there is no comparison, the prod schools are streets ahead so even if DH and i were non-practising or one of us was RC, we'd have goe with coI baptism for the school issue. i also agree that CoI is more laid back and generlaly more open to reality - i just find the whole pope-cant get married thing a little unrealistic. and actually i'd love to know why it is that catholic preiets cant have relationships?! can i aks junewife07 - is that a secondary school? if so, i think we might be thinking about the same school.............egs?
Junewife07 Posts: 276
[quote:18e5ufjf]can i aks junewife07 - is that a secondary school? if so, i think we might be thinking about the same school.............egs?[/quote:18e5ufjf] yep EGS for me too. I finished in '99 i think :-8 What about you? I would defo rather my kids go there as the RC schools around arent great at all. DH went to the abbey and i really wouldnt want mine going there. Mayvbe some people will call me a snob but to me its to give my kids the best education i can.