Menu

Returning to work after maternity leave

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Gorey11 Posts: 12
Hi there I'm due to return to work at the end of March, which means my baby will just be 6 months old. I'm trying to think of ways to make my leave longer as it is killing me to think I'm leaving my 6 month old with someone else to mind. I would be more confident if she were 9 months, 6 months she will still be tiny! My current job is in Dublin, however the daily commute from Gorey to Dublin will result in me never seeing my little one. I really need to find a job closer to where I live. If do not find a job in the meantime & choose to leave my job in Dublin, would I be entitled to claim social welfare? My husband also works in Dublin. Can anyone give me advice??!
ructions Posts: 2689
I don't think you can claim social welfare if you choose to leave a job, but someone else might be able to clarify that. You can take 16 weeks' unpaid leave immediately after maternity leave and also parental leave (unpaid too) after that if you want. My ML is also up soon but I'm taking all the unpaid leave I can.
Gorey11 Posts: 12
Thanks for your reply. Financially, my husband and I cannot afford to just have the one income coming into the house. Mortgage, bills etc having to be paid :-(
jezabelle Posts: 607
I live in Gorey too, and Work in the city centre and it is so exhausting, i know the feeling 100%, leving at 6 and home at anytime between 6 and 8!! We did it fine with DD, but when DS arrived he threw a spanner in the works! And to be honest DH is really the one who makes this work he work in the subarbs of dublin but works 8-4 so is home by 5 with the kids, so they have a normal life they just dont see me to much. There are no jobs locally unless you into windows or baking!! I went on sick leave for a while cos i was massively depressed and got social welfare for illness benifet i got about €248 per week kept us going at the time. Could you get a transfer? or do maybe 3 days a week? 1/2 days didnt work for me cos it didnt justify the petrol bill!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
You can claim job seekers benefit if you leave your job but you have a longer wait time for your first payment because you have chosen to leave and not been let go - I think it's 9 weeks!
Sassypants Posts: 4461
[quote="ohsotired":3o1slyl6]You can claim job seekers benefit if you leave your job but you have a longer wait time for your first payment because you have chosen to leave and not been let go - I think it's 9 weeks![/quote:3o1slyl6] Yep, this is correct. Happened to a friend of mine who couldn't work the hours after her little one arrived. Best of luck with your decision, I have a feeling this time next year I'll be the same!
John Walsh Guitar
gopro Posts: 1801
People in work got their GP's to sign them out on 'Sick Leave' as they were emotionally ready to go backa nd they got illness benefir
Beedy Posts: 112
Take care to check your employer's maternity leave rules before thinking about handing in your notice - some places require you to return to work for a certain period of time or else you have to repay all the maternity leave salary (if any) they paid you while you were off.
Buzzo Posts: 1055
If you're returning after 26 weeks statutory entitlement, you could squeeze another month out of bank holidays and leave accrued and that would be fully paid. I took all my bank holidays that had happened during my leave and 2 weeks holidays before I went back, and I was fully paid for that time.
babyelle Posts: 75
>:o(