Ring question?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Nervous2join Posts: 125
Hi all I have a question about my E ring. Its a very thick banded white gold ring and I have it 3 years. Ive had it cleaned 3 times and was told before wedding 13 months ago it didnt need to be plated yet. Are plating and dipping different things? Also I've begun to notice that the part of the E ring band on the inside of my hand is after becoming thinner and slightly marked where its resting on my wedding ring, any advice please?
galwaygirl2010 Posts: 2447
[quote="Nervous2join":b1xq55l8]Hi all I have a question about my E ring. Its a very thick banded white gold ring and I have it 3 years. Ive had it cleaned 3 times and was told before wedding 13 months ago it didnt need to be plated yet. Are plating and dipping different things? Also I've begun to notice that the part of the E ring band on the inside of my hand is after becoming thinner and slightly marked where its resting on my wedding ring, any advice please?[/quote:b1xq55l8] White gold is yellow gold that is plated with Rhodium. After a period of time, the plating will wear off and the natural colour of the gold will come through. To get it back to the shiney white gold colour again it needs to be redipped or plated again. Dipping and plating are the same thing. Costs between 20-50e depedning on where you get it done. If you bring it to the shop you originally bought it from they might do it for free. I have my rings 2 & 1 years - i have never had them cleaned, but my e-ring was plated / redipped last year ahead of the wedding so shine it up a bit.
Nervous2join Posts: 125
Thanks Galwaygirl, I'm hoping the band looking a bit thinner might be solved with Dipping/plating too? Love my ring but when I had it 6 months a claw came loose and took it back to the shop it came from and they fixed for free. 'Fixed' meaning they literally seemed to have hammered down the claw and the one opposite it and basically destroyed the ring. It has 4 claws and now 2 are very obviously different and kind of flatttened and rounded instead of high and square like the other 2 untouched ones. I said nothing when Hubby collected it and brought it home because I didnt want to upset him and it couldnt be undone. So I might take it to the shop where I bought my Wedding ring to get plated