Rocket Queen's Birth Story

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
So here’s my birth story. Sorry I think it’ll be a long one. I wasn’t due until the 11th Nov but baby was born on 23rd Oct – serves me right for spending so much time in the Oct Mammies post!!!!! Called into the Rotunda on the way home from work on the Monday 22nd, as I suspected my waters started leaking on Saturday. I started having pains on Sun night and had them most of Mon, all in my lower back but I really didn’t think anything of it. Turned out my hind waters had started to leak so they kept me in to induce me the next day. Got up to the ward at about 10pm and they told DH he could stay for a few hours but would then have to go. At 11.30pm the doctor came in and told us I’d be induced that night. :eek My chart was at home so they asked DH to go and get it. He raced home to Navan and got back at 1am. Up to the delivery suite, doc had a quick look :-8 they decided not to bother inducing me until the morning. So DH was sent home again and told to come back in at 7am. I felt so sorry for him. I couldn’t sleep coz the pains were getting more uncomfortable so I walked the corridors for the night. Finally morning came and they broke my waters at 9am. I kept walking the corridors trying to speed things up – I was constantly running to the loo too. We were brought into the delivery suite and put on the drip at 12pm. The midwife we had was so nice. It was the same guy who had seen me in the emergency room the previous evening so it was really nice having the same person with me all the way through it. I had decided not to have the epidural, but when I heard I was going on the drip I opted to get the epi coz I knew I’d never last the distance without it. Getting the epi was one of the worse things to ever happen to me. It’s definitely put me off having one again. The doc couldn’t find a gap between my vertebrae (sp) and kept hitting bone. I could feel it everytime she hit the bone, like bone grinding on bone. Then I get a shooting pain on my right side. As I said it was one of the worse things I’ve ever gone through. I just sat there bent over silently crying for what felt like an eternity. She even called for backup but before it could arrive she managed to hit the spot. I can’t describe the fear I had the whole time she was doing it. At one point I just gave up and resigned myself to the fact I’d probably have some serious damage done because of her. She said she had trouble doing it coz I have good posture and no gaps between the bones – fat lot of good that was to hear at the time. Anyway to get back to it. I couldn’t believe how effective the epi was in the end. I couldn’t feel a thing and the 3 of us sat around chatting and laughing for 7-8 hours until it was time to push. The only side effect I had was the shakes, which is fairly normal and they came and went so at least it wasn’t constant. Pushing is the hard part. The epi was turned down so I could feel the pressure and knew when to push. I couldn’t imagine having to do it when you can’t feel anything. I couldn’t believe how hard it was, everybody tells you but I think you have to go through it to really understand. Baby Alannah was born 45 mins later weighing a healthy 7lb13. I had a 2nd degree tear and was sucking away on the gas while I was stitched up. I didn’t find the gas that effective and had to take in loads for it to work. Then I was high as a kite – and kept telling DH that the doctor doing the stitches was also the TV chef guy! :-8 I think I even asked him for a recipe! So that’s it guys. I can’t believe I just posted my birth story. Because Alannah was early she couldn’t fight the jaundice like most babies. So she was brought down to NICU and put on phototherapy. We brought her home the Sat after she was born but she had to go back in again on the Mon and then finally she came home on Halloween night for good. All the staff I dealt with in the Rotunda were fantastic – midwives and nurses. I did have problems with the paeds doctors. Every paeds doctor that saw Alannah had a different diagnosis. So I should say everybody except the paeds doctors were fantastic and I definitely will go back there if I’m lucky enough to have more babies. Thanks all for reading and to all the girls here Thank You. I wouldn’t have made it through the 9mths with my sanity intact without all of you and your advice. :thnk
swissgirl Posts: 2301
Congrats, thanks so much for taking the time to write this! With the exception of the insertion of the epi it sounds like it was a lovely experience (ok the tear wasnt great either :o) ) Congrats on your beautiful daughter. x sg
Baby Mad Posts: 1756
Congratulations Pet. Alannah is such a pretty name :lvs
willthiswork Posts: 1995
Congratulations! I'm glad you're both fine now! Hope you put up a picture!
girlymum Posts: 696
Congratulations and well done :thnk
McMummy Posts: 1041
So glad it all worked out so well in the end, thanks for sharing. Best wishes to you and your family. Enjoy you're little lady.
andypandy28 Posts: 553
Well done and congrats. LOVE the name. :o)ll
summer daisy Posts: 1336
Congratulations on your new arrival and well done to you!! Beautiful name for your little doll and she was a fantastic weight for being so early!!
oirish Posts: 1541
congrats Rocket Queen!!!! Beautiful name for your little princess !!
Delish Posts: 4176
Congratulations and well done, welcome Alanagh