Root canal today ....ahhhhh

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

miami82 Posts: 367
Hi girlies, I'm getting a root canal done today (T minus 1.5 hours) :o( Anyone had one done and can tell me what to expect? P.S. I am a wimp P.P.S. Not sure if pain or bank account is going to hurt more afterwards.
mrsmcdreamy Posts: 880
your bank account will definately hurt more!!! had it done a few years back. i got it all done in one sitting (it took 2 hrs). most people split it up over a few sessions. didnt really hurt to be honest. at one stage there was a slight burning smell which i didnt like. but other than that twas the finest. best of luck
[quote="mrsmcdreamy":2libwrwf]your bank account will definately hurt more!!! had it done a few years back. i got it all done in one sitting (it took 2 hrs). most people split it up over a few sessions. didnt really hurt to be honest. at one stage there was a slight burning smell which i didnt like. but other than that twas the finest. best of luck[/quote:2libwrwf] oooooh - burning smell - had that before - not pleasant. I think it's full root canal today and then i go back in a few months for crown (have to wait for sinus cavity to drain) - but thought they said it'd be 30 mins - worried now. Should I ring and check?
GreenerPastures Posts: 7284
I've never had one but just wanted to :action32 and say you'll be fine. Just make sure your OH makes a fuss of you and you really treat yourself at the weekend.
OK - rang dentist and yes I will be in for 1.5 hours. I can't imagine keeping my mouth open for that long (without talking that is)!!! Thankfully dentist is across road from Xtravision so Ben & Jerry's and cheesey movie for dinner I think. Don't tell my dentist :-8
mrsmcdreamy Posts: 880
that sounds like a great plan miami82. ya maybe twas only 1.5 hrs i was there too, cant fully remember now. it is long enough alright but youll be fine. i was trying to listen to the radio but it was hard with the general noise of a dentists. you'll be grand. dont worry
Nearly27dresses Posts: 29
Hope today went ok for you Miami82 Do you mind me asking but how much it cost you, I need to get one done and i'm shopping around as I don't want to pay a fortune :( i'm close to the north so thinking of getting it done up deepending on prices
[quote="Nearly27dresses":2lkeyvks]Hope today went ok for you Miami82 Do you mind me asking but how much it cost you, I need to get one done and i'm shopping around as I don't want to pay a fortune :( i'm close to the north so thinking of getting it done up deepending on prices[/quote:2lkeyvks] It all went fine - on the chair for a little over an hour but it was fine - no problem at all. Apart from the cost I would have no problem doing it again. Mine cost €400 for a premolar - it's less for canines and incisors (as there's only 1 canal in each tooth) and more for molars (as they have 3 or 4 canals. A lot of colleagues have paid more though. Based in Munster. Have to wait a couple of months to see if I am ready for the crown, and it is €750.