Rotunda - arriving in labour

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

mcglick Posts: 463
just wondering if anyone can tell me what the story is with this. Say if I go into labour at home, either waters breaking or contractions have started and are regular....whats the procedure then? Do you ring the main number and just say "ah hiya whats the story im in labour here, put the kettle on ill see you soon" or do you say, im in labour can you put me through to the semi Private labour ward (which is what im attending) or do you just arrive and wait to be assessed by the A&E staff on the ground floor Reason Im asking is I was there in A&E with tummy pains at 22 weeks pg and had to sit in the waiting room to be assessed etc. There were women in labour huffing and puffing walking up and down the waiting room floor waiting to be seen, so im just afraid this is the procedure??? Id die if i had to go there first with everyone looking at you :eek I was wondering if they examine you there first before they send you up to the labour ward? is it different procedure depending if you are public/semi p patient? thanks!
Daisyboo Posts: 1347
On ds1 I just went to the hospital,went to the recptioon and they told me I was to be sceen in the emergency room,I had to wait in the waiting room first to be sceen to as there were a few other ladies in front of me in labour,after i was sceen to,I was sent to the a labour room,I was public at the time and that was 9 years ago.On ds2 I had to be brought in to be induced,which I prefered personally.Im going private now,but havent a clue how it all works now,as it been 9 years since I was in the emergency room. :eek
aisleen Posts: 286
Hi Mcglick, I had my boy in the Rotunda last week. I went in when my waters broke, well actually i called first of all to talk to the Domino midwife and she said to come in. it was 5am so only waited 5 mins to get into the emergency room. here they checked me out, basically confirmed that waters had broken and then sent me home to wait for some action. contractions started that night at 9.30pm, i went into hospital at 2.30am when i couldn't bear the pain anymore, again thankfully it was quiet in the emergency room. didn't have to wait long in reception, maybe 5 mins. midwife checked me again, was 3cms and brought straight up to labour ward. It is a nuisance having to wait in reception for check in emergency room but i'm sure everyone has to do that. once you're up in labour room you're on your own, no more public viewings of you in labour! They are well used to women coming in huffing and puffing though, nobody batted an eye at me. when are you due? Don't worry about these little things, it'll work out fine when the day comes.
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Unfortunately you have to wait in reception (waiting room my ar*e) to be seen in the ER regardless of whether you are private or public. I changed from public to private because I was told (incorrectly) that this wouldnt' be the case. I think it's a disgrace that you have to sit out there in full view of everyone. It might be different if it was just mammies in labour waiting to be seen but you've got visitors waiting to go up to the wards and everything. While I was there as a patient I was sitting waiting for a visitor and there was what looked to be a homeless bloke sitting in the corner nursing a warm drink >:o( When my waters broke I rang them, they told me to call in. Went in to hospital at 5.30pm on Monday and the waiting area was packed with people. It took about 40mins for me to be seen. I was having pains but they were managable, I had to keep going to the toilet though and the loos downstairs leave a lot to be desired >:o(
oh god, I really dont wanna be in that waiting room in full view of everyone dribbling my waters all over the floor and moaning and groaning :eek :eek Suppose its another good reason to stay at home for as long as possible/or go in at an un godly hour to avoid visiting hours etc
Rocket Queen Posts: 7381
Yep, as I said it's a disgrace. My Dad came in to visit me one day and they threw him out of the ward when visiting times were over. As I was down in NICU with DD I only saw him for 5mins so we sat downstairs for a chat. There were 2 women opposite us, one in full on labour having contractions every few mins and another lady who's waters had broken and were leaking everywhere. My Dad was moritified sitting there and left after a few mins. He really felt like he was intruding. There really should be a separate area for visitors, or a coffee shop or something.
only deadly Posts: 491
i REMEMBER WITH MY SON i RANG WHEN CONTRACTION STARTED AND WENT IN AND I SAT AT RECEPTION WHILE A MIDWIFE CAME DOWN TO BRING ME UP WASNT WAITING THAT LONG AT ALL PROB 5 MINS I WOULD DEF RING FIRST .. THOUGH
do you just ring the main number ? Is there some one on that phone 24 hours?
only deadly Posts: 491
Yeah if you ring reception and tell them Hi Im in labour they will put you on to a midwife and you tell her they are 4 mins apart ect ... they will say wait till your 3 or come in but that reception has someone on all the time Like a hotel ( as far as I know ) it was 8 years ago cant see it changing though .... When your next in hosp just ask a midwife ... xx
cheers! Will do! :xxx