Rotunda: Can you choose your consultant if you go SP?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
At 7 weeks and 5 days I feel (barely) confident enough to start a thread here on P&B. Had 7 week scan yesterday - amazing to hear heartbeat and see that all is great. So thread title explains my query - I'm going to go semi-private and was wondering if you have a choice in which consultant you attend when you do that? I know that you can choose with private care but not certain if you can with SP. I have a recommendation from a few colleagues but they all went private. Thanks in advance for any info :thnk
moobear Posts: 1126
Hi LSL. I'm also going sp in rotunda. I'm not sure if you can choose your consultant but I think it's more of a team you are assigned to. You are not guaranteed to see the same consultant at each visit however, from what the girls are saying in here you may get to see the same consultant twice/three times during your pregnancy. Like you I'm still very early days yet and to be honest I'm very reluctant to join any threads. Pm me if you require and further info as I have the details for sp booking etc. Ps delighted to hear the scan went well for you x
Thanks so much Moobear, I just got off the phone from them (I'm a divil, no patience), no you can't choose but I'm booked in now anyway so sure what the hell. It was only cos I got a recommendation from someone that I thought I'd ask. I know a few people who have gone to the Rotunda (private, sp and public) and all have good feedback so am confident enough in them. They were very nice when I rang and I have my first appointment booked for 31st July next - I'll be 12 weeks and 4 days then. It feels all official now - as if the morning sickness wasn't enough to make it official :o0
saz12 Posts: 217
littlesugarloaf, i am s/p in Rotunda...36 weeks....and while i wouldnt have changed to public i am asking myself the real benefits of going s/p at all....to date i have seen NO consultant...!!! Now in saying that the s/p clinic is lovely...no waiting (compared to public when u walk through the opd area my god the queues!) u see the midwife and everytime and then u go in for a scan with the doc...who i assume is one of 'the team' but thats it!!! Scan and off you go so there is no sitting down having a nice chat with a consultant....suits me as i have had no problems (touch wood)!! So my conclusion is you are paying for the 'no queuing' and s/p bed afterwards but thats it!!! So you kind of have to weigh it up...regarding the 1200...is it really worth is.... Thats my exp so far...ill update after the labour :0 :) Saz12 :) :)
Thanks Saz12, I've booked myself in for the SP option now. The shorter queue times are just going to make my life so much easier with work that I'm happy enough to go with it. I had a few bob put by because we thought we would be going down the IUI route so thankfully that will help. And I'll get about €350 back from the VHI and about €180 from tax back so it's only €670 really (sounds much better than €1200). Definitely give us an update after your baby is born - will be dying to hear. The very best of luck, you are so close now. Hope you continue to feel well and have no problems.