Rotunda private vs semi private prices - advice/info wanted

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Tess72 Posts: 1173
Found out a week ago I'm pregnant with #2. I had DS1in the Rotunda as a semi-private patient and paid €600 deposit and my VHI Plan B Plus option took care of the rest. I've just been on the Rotunda website and the semi-private deposit is now €1200. I'm gobsmacked that the price has doubled in exactly 2 years. I wish my own wages increased at such a rate! The Private deposit is less at €1000. Friencds who went private in the Rotunda at the same time said they paid approx 4K to go private but got back about half that in tax relief. I was happy to go semi-private again this time but now I'm wondering now am I as well off to go private. As far as I know we can only claim back 20% of our medical expenses since the mini-budget last year (instead of 40% if you were on the higher tax band). Can anyone who went private in the Rotunda recently tell me how much they paid altogether and how much they got/will get back in tax? Please PM me if you'd rather be discrete.
tilsun Posts: 4506
I agree that the price hikes in Rotunda semi-P are shocking. And on another negative you will now only get tax back at 20 % instead of 40% as previously. I am semi-P as we really couldn't afford the private. Maybe do a search on here for more info. Good luck
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
We are paying €4500 for our consultant (€2K at 9 weeks, €1K at each of 24 adn 32 weeks and €500 after delivery). We can claim 20% back in tax relief so €900 - making final cost €3600.
Thanks Tilsun and GU for the responses and info. Sorry I haven't had a minute to post during the past few days with visitors staying and running around from a to b. I don't remember being this tired at the start of the last pregnancy and I feel guilty already about not having energy to do enough with my 16mth old who is all go go go. Well I've decided to go semi-private again. I called VHI and went through what they pay for and what I can claim back. (I'd highly recommend anyone to call their insurance provider if they've any questions, I was surprised at the amount of info they had and they were very helpful). I can claim 500 back from them towards consultant fees or the semi-private deposit and then there's the 20% tax back. I worked out private would cost approx €2300-3000 (depending on consultant fees of €3500-4500) and semi-private would cost €560 - once everything was claimed back. I was very happy with my care the last time and although it would be nice to have shorter waiting times at appointments and a scan at every visit these things are not worth €3000 to me. I can pay for extra scans if I want and I'm allowed take a full day off work for every appointment so I can relax about that. Maybe for my next pregnancy (God willing) when I'll be that bit older again I might go private if I think it's necessary. Good luck in the coming months guys.
I may just have been lucky but as semi-p have had scans at every appointment so far (3) and have never waited more than half an hour at any appointment. Good luck :wv
Giant Underpants Posts: 953
[quote="Tess72":3nq3vjjz] I can claim 500 back from them towards consultant fees or the semi-private deposit and then there's the 20% tax back. I worked out private would cost approx €2300-3000 (depending on consultant fees of €3500-4500) [/quote:3nq3vjjz] Hey Tilsun, I agree about the VHI customer care line, they are incredibly helpful. I also used their midwife line too and the lovely midwives called me back a few times afterwards to check how I was feeling. Im really delighted with VHI to be honest. Do you mind me asking how you came up with the figures of €2300 - €3000 for private care? Im on the first plan and I thought it was going to cost me €4500 -€900 (20% tax back) so €3600. Can I also claim a further €600 back from the VHI for something or are you on a higher up plan than the first plan?
suitcase of hopes and dreams Posts: 2932
Another semi-p lady here in Rotunda, have been scanned at every visit so far, also waiting no longer than 30 mins either, cant complain at all
first-timer Posts: 463
[quote="tilsun":3lrwu4w7]I may just have been lucky but as semi-p have had scans at every appointment so far (3) and have never waited more than half an hour at any appointment. Good luck :wv[/quote:3lrwu4w7] can i ask which consultant ur with? seems funny how some bother giveing more scans and some just don't.
I'm Plan B options Level 2 or something like that. It's a higher level of coverage than my company offers so I can claim 500 back. (I think I pay 200 extra a year for this myself, I upgraded myself by accident when filling out a form and never bothered to downgrade again cos it's all just too complicated for me!). The various different consultant fees in the Rotunda vary from 3500-4000. So that's how I worked that out.. That's great news about the waiting time in semi-private. 2 yrs ago an appointment took a good 3 hrs before I'd be first seen by a nurse and then the consultant.
[quote="first-timer":3ims8vol][quote="tilsun":3ims8vol]I may just have been lucky but as semi-p have had scans at every appointment so far (3) and have never waited more than half an hour at any appointment. Good luck :wv[/quote:3ims8vol] can i ask which consultant ur with? seems funny how some bother giveing more scans and some just don't.[/quote:3ims8vol] I actually don't know who my consultant is :duh: I met him on booking in appointment (I think) but was too excited to take a name. Have not seen him since, different doc each time. I guess I've just been lucky