Rotunda SP - 1200 euro??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

lush11 Posts: 2877
Ok Im a little confused about this 1200 euro that needs to be paid upfront on the day you go for your 12 week scan. What is this for? Is it for everything including your delivery. I hear a lot of girls saying their health insurance doesnt cover it. Why does it not cover it?? Im with the Garda Medical Aid and apparently that covers everything so why does other health insurance not cover this. Is this other charges after this?
Ok, I looked on the website and it's a 1200 euro deposit upfront but im still at a loss as to why your health insurance doesnt cover it. Thats MADNESS! Surely health insurance covers all your maternity bills, no????
FoundHome Posts: 1753
The health insurance covers the cost of your SP accomodation, delivery and any other medical expenses such as anaesthetist etc. The €1200 is for the cost of your consultant fees which most medical insurances do NOT cover fully i.e. you can claim up to €300 depending on your policy or something similar. In the Rotunda the €1200 also includes the scans. I'm paying €750 in the Coombe but scans were an additional. In the Coombe you don't have to pay up front, instead they send you an invoice which you have up to the birth to pay. I'd double check with Garda Medical Aid as I think I remember a friend of mine saying that while they covered the accomodation and medical expenses as normal, she still had to pay the consultant fees and that was for the Rotunda too. Probably like other insurances, Medical Aid cover most other consultant fees with the exception of maternity. Hope that helps!
Thanks, i suppose the best thing is to check with Medical aid. Who thought that having a baby would be so expensive? Just wondering if i went public what would i have to pay for, probably the same just at a lower rate?
FoundHome Posts: 1753
Yeah - definitely check it out so you're completely clear. If you go public it doesn't cost anything. And the spending on baby begins...... :o0 :o0 :o0
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
If your public you pay nothing, whether your on Garda med or vhi or Quinn or any of them you still pay the 1200
zac Posts: 268
i'm with Garda Medical Aid also, you don't have to pay anything. i am in Holles Street. most other insurance you have to pay something but with GMA they cover the whole bill (bar your 20 week scan) which you can claim back.
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
[quote="zac":16w5n3ji]i'm with Garda Medical Aid also, you don't have to pay anything. i am in Holles Street. most other insurance you have to pay something but with GMA they cover the whole bill (bar your 20 week scan) which you can claim back.[/quote:16w5n3ji] My. Bf is gma too and told me she needed to pay the 1200 with the rotunda :wv
dhidra Posts: 3147
E1200 is the shortfall between the health insurance and the actual costs. Very annoying. Totally free for public. IMO it's worth paying the extra, some others will say differently though.
zac Posts: 268
hmmm, wonder why you have to pay in one hospital and not the other. If it not too inconvenient switch to Holles St!