Routine at 10 weeks - are we missing out?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
I've been reading some threads (here and on other sites) discussing bedtime routines for babies. They involve putting baby to bed at around 7 or 8 in another room. We still keep baby up with us until our bedtime. He's 10 weeks old btw. He usually has his last bottle at around 10:30pm or 11pm and then sleeps to about half 4 or 5am (he's every 3 or 4 hours during the day). I just don't think I'm ready to have him upstairs by himself for so long (apart from my other thread about him not loving the gro bag). We have a monitor but still, I know I wouldn't relax. Am I totally off base here? I thought babies shouldn't be left alone like that until 6 months. And if I put my baby down at 8 o'clock he'd be up again before midnight looking for his last bottle. He's a hungry little thing so 6 hours between bottles is the max he'll last. Not being judgey at all, just looking for opinions/ideas. Although we're happy keeping him up with us, am I doing him a disservice by not getting him into more of a routine?
Ljp Posts: 161
Hey lsl, we do the same with our little fella too, dont have him in a routine yet, he stays downstairs with us and then has his last feed about 9.30-10 (whenever hes hungry), sleeps till 3-4, has another feed and then down again till 8 or so. Its working for us so far, and hes bf so i am still feeding on demand. A lot of ppl have the 7pm to 7am routine going but i dont think we are ready for that yet. I reckon if thats what is working for ye then stick to it, as he gets older he may want to go down earlier. If you want him downstairs with you then do whatever feels right for you..
Sassypants Posts: 4461
If I remember correctly we started putting our man down around 8 from about 14 weeks or so. It slowly got earlier as we started from about 11pm. I would think that you should definitely start a bedtime routine well before 6 months, but then what works for one person doesn't work for another. It's nice when they start going to bed a bit earlier and you feel you have some time alone as a couple in the evenings. If you don't feel ready then don't do it but just be aware that babies do like routine and he will be so hardy by the time he gets to six months you will be happy to have him go to bed on his own (maybe not on his own but you get what I mean). I am a big fan of giving baby good sleeping habits so you can have a life. Best of luck with it!
blueboots Posts: 833
My DS2 is 11 weeks old and I'm pretty much doing the same thing as you girls. On DS1 I got so stressed trying to implement a routine I'm taking it a lot more easy this time. They are still so small. DS2 is falling into his own routine and I am following his lead. Il probably start the early bedtime and settling him upstairs when I transfer him from Moses basket to cot which will be in about a months time.
Mrs W Posts: 2923
I'm the same, we take her to bed when we go and by the time she goes to sleep it could be 1am. A few nights last week she slept 11 til 8 but has only be doing 4 hours a time since. She's bf too so we have no routine whatsoever during the day either! Even worse again, she doesn't settle as we'll in the basket as she does in my bed..... Am I setting myself up for awful trouble?? I have her cot ordered so will attempt a routine of putting her down earlier in a few weeks when we put her in that!
wowza Posts: 556
We were (are!) woeful for a routine - we pretty much just followed baby's lead! I think when she was too big for the moses basket we started putting her upstairs, whenever she fell asleep. She would take another feed around the time we were going to bed. Now, at 7 months she goes down, awake, at about 8 in her own room. We didn't have a huge struggle to get this going - she seemed to just take it into her head that this was what she wanted to do. If you don't want him on his own for that long then don't leave him on his own - it's up to you, and I think you should do what suits you. If it stops suiting you, then you can start working on a routine. We also used to settle her in our bed a lot, and move her, or if she didn't settle we'd just keep her in our bed. For quite a while she was taking all her naps in our bed and this is something that she seemed to stop herself when she moved into her own room.
ciaraella Posts: 5323
I think DD was 13 weeks at the earliest before she had a bedtime earlier than 10.30/11, we never did a dream feed so we started putting her upstairs to bed when she started settling earlier ie 9, then 8. Eventually she settled from 7.30 and we'd do a proper bedtime routine. I'd say it's still early and I'd keep following your lo's lead, personally I'd wait til after 3 months before worrying too much about a 'bedtime' iykwim
blueboots Posts: 833
[quote="Mrs W ":1m4evwcv]I'm the same, we take her to bed when we go and by the time she goes to sleep it could be 1am. A few nights last week she slept 11 til 8 but has only be doing 4 hours a time since. She's bf too so we have no routine whatsoever during the day either! Even worse again, she doesn't settle as we'll in the basket as she does in my bed..... Am I setting myself up for awful trouble?? I have her cot ordered so will attempt a routine of putting her down earlier in a few weeks when we put her in that![/quote:1m4evwcv] DS2 comes into my bed too most nights from about 3am. He just won't settle in Moses basket at that time. I'm not worried. One thing I learnt from DS1 is that all phases pass
mamajen Posts: 2263
I honestly can't remember when she started going to bed at 8 but she's doing it a good while. She literally couldn't stay up past 8pm. She's been in her own room since 7 weeks as she outgrew her bassinet very quickly (11lbs born and shot up very fast from there!) so its probably since then.
littlesugarloaf Posts: 2000
Crapadoodle, my post just got deleted. Short version - thanks so much for the feedback, really appreciate it. It's very reassuring to hear similar experiences. I do think our boy is just too young to be put down by himself and happy to keep him downstairs with us. As for sleeping through, if he goes from 11 to 5 I think that's pretty good. He's just too hungry to go longer.