Rubella - vaccine while pregnant?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

HarmattanRose Posts: 1444
Ladies I just got a phone call from my Dr surgery to ask me to come in for a rubella injection - they wanted me to come in this morning. I had a meeting so put them off. I am 12 weeks pregnant today. I generally thought it wasn't the done thing to give the vaccination whilst pregnant. Has anyone else heard of anyone getting it? I had DS less than 2 years ago and my blood was checked then and was OK. So is it a case of no immunity or low immunity? I am going to phone the Dr at 12pm (only time you can speak to a Dr in our surgery to try and find out some more information). But generally I think I shouldn't be getting it. Don't know what to do. I have read that if you contract GM after 12 weeks there is only a 23% chance of baby developing the problems associated with rubella, however before that it rises to 51%. So if anything I would hold off another week before getting the jab. Head is wrecked. Any suggestions from you lovely WoLlies?
Daisy Duck Posts: 150
If you had immunity on your last pregnancy then I don't see why you would need the vaccination now. Definitely get a second opinion. When is your hospital booking visit? I had the MMR last year and the doctor was adamant that I did not get pregnant within 6 weeks afterwards. Not sure was the about the measles, mumps or rubella part though.
babyforus Posts: 1619
I would ring your maternity hospital and ask them about it. Here's a thread on not having chicken pox immunity, mentions rubella too: Rubella threads: I got my rubella checked while TTC. Was told if I didn't have immunity, I could either not have the immunisation, or if I did have the immunisation I would have to wait 3 months to TTC. As it turned out, out I got BFP that month. When I went to confirm, I got results that I am immune.
Thanks ladies. Daisy - it seems your immunity does decline, but really I didn't think it would be that much different in a couple of years. My bloods were done at my booking appointment Friday week ago which is where the results came back from. Don't go back to hospital until December. babyforus. This is what started to raise alarm bells for me. To be honest rubella immunity doesn't appear to be pushed the same up North as down South. It isn't something you are told to consider before TTC - I mentioned it to a couple of people and they would never even have thought of it - even though they have just had babies! I think the MMR is a more severe injection than the Rubella on its own, but still, I am worried. Am waiting for a GP to phone me back as the Dr I spoke to yesterday couldn't answer any of my questions at all O:| - I've been to see her before and she is about 12. Well probably early 20's but looked 12 to me. :yelrotflmaosmilie: Thanks again for the replies and the links :thnk
bolababy Posts: 706
Rubella is given as part of MMR injection as very hard to source in Ireland on its own. You CANNOT under any circumstances get rubella injection in pregnancy. It is a LIVE vaccine (as oppossed to other ones) so it means a small amount of the rubella virus is injected which you then build immunity to. You therfore cannot get it while pregnant as it is actually some of the virus you're getting. You're GP would be aware of this. Is it possible that they want you back to repeat the bloods? maybe the sample was clotted or something.
bolababy. No defiantely was to come in and get the vaccine. The receptionist was well miffed when I said I wanted to investigate further. Spoke to a Dr who hadn't a clue, but she said if the hospital recommended it they would generally follow suit. She couldn't answer any of my questions on the risks etc and didn't know how routine it was. She also couldn't find the letter on the system so was getting someone to look it out and get back to me within a couple of days O:| Problem is I have a 15month old DS who is at nursery and is in contact with everything. Plus I didn't get his MMR. I'm going for individual vaccines but he won't be able to start these for another month. DH said the same as you to get blood tested again. Thanks for the info, confirms my thoughts on this. :thnk
[quote="HarmattanRose":3p7b8bew]Problem is I have a 15month old DS who is at nursery and is in contact with everything. Plus I didn't get his MMR. I'm going for individual vaccines but he won't be able to start these for another month. [/quote:3p7b8bew] Is there a reason you didnt get son vaccinated? Infairness it is most likely that the vast majority of the other kids in creche have been vaccinated so you're son would get some protection from them and therfore unlikely to get it, but prob better to get him vaccinated anyway , removes a lot of worry (my two cents!)
Hi bolababy. Didn't get him vaccinated over the whole concern about MMR. I know, it has been disproven etc etc (I work in a research environment and know all the problems with the studies) but I still have a doubt. I phone place today about getting him Rubella and they said they won't vaccinate LO of pregnant women with Rubella until women are 16 weeks because of the risk to the foetus. :eek Anyway, Dr phoned. Seems they made a mistake at the surgery. My bloods didn't come back Rubella negative, they got me confused with some else. Seems surgery don't even get my rubella results - I won't get them until the second hospital visit :eek Dr said she was waiting for someone with a similar names results and when she read a -ve on mine she put 2 + 3 together and got 10. She then went on to say something about me being rehsus -ve (sp?) which I'm not. When I queried this she gave me my correct blood group but said my antibodies test was -ve but it is nothing to worry about. And just to forget about telephone call yesterday. Was that relieved I didn't say anything but when i came off the phone I just burst into tears. DH is well annoyed, he said I should have queried the seriousness of what they had suggested. I really worries me that had I not known about rubella vaccines in pregnancy I could have gone down yesterday morning, in a panic thinking I was doing the right thing. Not only that given the stage of pregnancy I'm at I really could have been risking the health and survival of my baby. Very >:o( now. Will have to compensate myself with a big bar of chocolate.
Good that it is all sorted now anyway. [quote="HarmattanRose":3q3xpxby]I phone place today about getting him Rubella and they said they won't vaccinate LO of pregnant women with Rubella until women are 16 weeks because of the risk to the foetus. [/quote:3q3xpxby] Yup this is because as I said, it's a live vaccine so your DS might develop a small febrile illness after getting in with is him developing immunity so technically he could be infective. [quote="HarmattanRose":3q3xpxby]Didn't get him vaccinated over the whole concern about MMR. I know, it has been disproven etc etc (I work in a research environment and know all the problems with the studies) but I still have a doubt. [/quote:3q3xpxby] I'm being pedantic pat here now, but for the record this doctor has actual lost his licence to practive medicine because of the scare that resulted from this study. Sorry a little pet hate! Anyway delighted its all sorted so now ya can relax and enjoy your bump!
[quote="bolababy":3s319x8f] I'm being pedantic pat here now, but for the record this doctor has actual lost his licence to practive medicine because of the scare that resulted from this study. Sorry a little pet hate! Anyway delighted its all sorted so now ya can relax and enjoy your bump![/quote:3s319x8f] I know all this, but I am the most risk averse person on this earth. I know there has been no proven difference in autisim rates between countries who use single and combined vaccines. I know that autisim starts to reveal itself around the time of the vaccine and hence the ancedotial link. I know Dr was being paid by lawers who were trying up against the vaccine companies at the time but I still have this irrationale thought about it. I just couldn't live with myself if my wee bright bundle of happiness and fun changed his personality in anyway because of something I could have done differently. There are single vaccine providers in north, though Mumps is not available at minute. So I plan to get measles and rubella and get MMR when he is older and his wee body is more able to cope with what it might throw at him. The more I read about vaccinations the less I am convinced we should be pumping all this stuff into our children's bodies at such an early age. It just worries me that we don't know the really long term effects of vaccination programmes. Some literature I have been reading says there is the possibility of increased risk of cancers and other illnesses later in life because the body hasn't experienced some of the high temperatures and immune response to real viruses. Problem is - I read too much some times. Thanks for the good wishes. Can relax until the next drama. :o0