Running mums-to-be?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Sposa Posts: 626
Any others out there? Run about 3 times a week between 6-7kms and have a 10km planned for around the 19 week mark. Hope to run as long as possible and am giggling at the thought of getting wierd look when the tummy really starts to show >:o) Ran before getting pregnant of course. Thank :wv
28-sept-10 Posts: 1832
i ran up until 10 weeks.. like yourself i was 3 days a weeks doing between 8-10km each night i ran a 10km in august and i was very sick for days after it, the doc told me to stop running altogether as it was putting alot of strain on the baby :o(
Waiting24 Posts: 355
http://babyfit.sparkpeople.com/articles.asp?id=781 check out this page. very helpful, lots of tips and things to watch out for... i'm hpefully going to keep jogging until bump is too heavy and then hit the pool! Good luck!!!
MeSB Posts: 3785
Luka Posts: 1904
[quote="28-sept-10":p3k5kt07]i ran up until 10 weeks.. like yourself i was 3 days a weeks doing between 8-10km each night i ran a 10km in august and i was very sick for days after it, the doc told me to stop running altogether as it was putting alot of strain on the baby :o([/quote:p3k5kt07] I have to agree with this. Not being smart, but pregnancy is not a time to be putting un-necessary strain on your body. What you did BEFORE you got pregnant is not relevant to the baby growing inside you. I had 2 miscarriages before my son, & my GP told me I was, under NO circumstances, to do any form of exercise at all with my pregnancy with my son, & I used to do alot of walking, moderate jogging before my pregnancies. He would not have told me this without reason, I know it was the miscarriages, but the whole process of pregnancy can be a delicate one & if it were me, high impact exercise would be a major no-no. I just couldn't live with myself if anything went wrong.
Joleigh Posts: 4242
I usually run 3 times a week but a few weeks into the pregnancy and it just didnt feel right. I didnt feel right running, my boobs were heavy and I was too tired and nauseous. Gave it up then and I just walk now and am gonna go back to aqua aerobics soon. did that during last pregnancy and found it great because theres no strain on your body in the water. They tell you in the hospital to wait 3 months after having baby before you run again. I waited exactly 3 months the last time but I'd get back to it sooner this time around if I feel up to it.
MeSB Posts: 3785
Mrs Snuffleupagus Posts: 554
I ran up to about 20 weeks and then between the bladder, the extra bump and boob weight I had to stop. I was just uncomfortable. (I didn't run between getting the positive test and about 9 weeks - Just in case, then my GP said to go ahead) I wore my HRM every session and kept it below 140 and walked up hills. I was doing maybe 4*7-9km runs per week. I'd say (as a previous poster said) listen to your body. It will tell you when it's had enough.
Emme Posts: 4735
My consultant said he'd prefer if I stopped as well but I've maintained my walking speeds okay as long as I don't have the buggy. But I'm a big believer in your listening to your body and you would know yourself what you're comfortable with. Thats why I gave up the buggy and make sure I'm well hydrated and fed before I go walking. I would have gotten away with it before!
Sposa Posts: 626
You guys are so great for replying and encouraging me that there are other mums-to-be that run or have run. Of course I woudn't be running if I had had a history of miscarriages but with my first little boy I had an amazing pregnancy and this time I just thought of keeping going with the running. OMG Walle a 10km in just over 55mins at 24 weeks! That is so cool. My fastest non-pregnant 10km is about 56 mins. I have a 10km in exactly one month and will be jogging most of it. Well done you. Personally I don't think doctors are yet tuned in to how beneficial exercise can be. Swimming and walking are wonderful, and my jogging gives me such a boost. Anyone know about pregnancy support belts and where to get one? Obviously I'll have to see how long I can run for but maybe this would help with the extra weight. Thanks again ladies. :wv