Ryanair

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

SiobhanOliverSoprano Posts: 3150
Just in case some of you don't know about this - if you use a prepay mastercard to pay for your Ryanair flights there's no transaction fee so it saves 10 euro per person per return journey. my mum just got flights to Dublin for 6euro return in total! If you fly Ryanair regularly it adds up to quite a saving. The card company charge 2.95% per purchase so for the 6euro flight she had to pay 18 cents charge instead of Ryanairs 10 euro charge! Just thought I'd share :thnk Siobhan
lilybride Posts: 425
Never knew that,thanks for sharing this info
no bother - I didn't know myself until today ! Apparently you have to pay 5 euro for the card initially though so unless you're going to use it a few times it's probably not worth it but you can use it to buy anything online or anywhere else the same as an ordinary credit card. I'll find out the name of it from her
joker Posts: 2789
how do you get a pre pay mastercard?? i have uk bank account and I used to be able to escape the charges but not anymore!
this is the website my mum got the card from but she said it took a few days to arrive in the post so if you need it quickly you can buy them in some shops - there's a list on the website. You then top up the card at one of the shops and you can use it like an ordinary credit card. on the ryanair site you click prepay mastercard and there is zero charge then Siobhan :thnk
chelbi Posts: 14
Just had a look at this and something to be aware of, there are fees to load money to the card and if you were to make large purchases 2.95% could be quite costly. ATM withdrawal fee is €1.50 also If your account is inactive for over 3 months you will be charged a fee of €3.50 for every month it is inactive. Loading Amount Fee €10 - €350 €3.50 €351 - €500 €5.95 On the plus side if you cant get a credit card for whatever reason this could be good also there are no credit checks....just thought I would share :wv
I noticed the charges alright chelbi, but I'd say this type of card is just handy for the likes of Ryanair - don't think I'd use it for any large purchase. we booked flights today for 6 people which would normally be an extra €60 in charges with the credit card but came to €3.50 with this one. as a family we use ryanair a lot so over the course of the year we'd save quite a bit not having to pay the transaction fee so for us it's great but definitely not for everyone *)
downesy Posts: 254
You also don't get charged the annual government card charge of €40 like with a credit card so that's another saving.
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
The prepaid mastercard is the best thing ever!