Scan at 18 weeks- is this the big one?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

sunnyside Posts: 3164
Girls I have a scan in two weeks time when I'll be just about 18 weeks- do you think I'll be able to see much. Will they know the gender?? My DH can't come with me (sounds awful but lets just say he works in a field where if he cancels his appointments then a lot of us would be having our appointments cancelled too!). Anyway I'm happy to go by myself but not sure if this is the big scan or would they tell me the gender- haven't decided if I want to know yet. Suppose I should ring up and find out what the scan involves. I've gone private and there's another scan at 22 weeks so not sure which is the big one.
workingmom Posts: 3429
I think the big scan is at 22 weeks, I know my friend had hers at 22 weeks and they checked how the baby was growing, the ventricles of the heart etc, but I think call them to find out for sure.
jarashow Posts: 3083
Sunny I am private too and my big scan is at 21 weeks, so it could be 22 for you. Just call your consultant and check.
allexcitednow Posts: 654
The big scan is your 22 weeks one! at this one they check all the organs, sizes of bones, spine etc. I think sometime they cant tell the sex until after 24 weeks.
thanks girls- for those of you going private how many scans have you been told you'll have- I think mine are around weeks 18, 22, 26, 30 (not sure after that).
jarashow Posts: 3083
Well I get a mini one at each appt as he has a machine in his room. So far I know that I have a big one at 21 weeks in Holles St, I am not sure if I get another one or not.
lifestooshort Posts: 2312
BIG one's are from 20 weeks usually and you can tell sex from 18 weeks
Rang consultant's secretary. She said this one in two weeks would be more of a mini-scan and the main one at 22 weeks is done in the hospital. That's put my mind at rest. I don't mind going on my own but don't want to go to the main one by myself just in case anything would be wrong.
jellybaby Posts: 2316
I had a scan at 18 weeks and that was my big one. Anytime between 18 and 22 weeks is considered normal for a 'big' scan. We had our big scan with DD at 21 weeks, and the one at 18 weeks was pretty much the same - same quality, same level of detail, and we could easily see the gender. Best of luck with it *)
Jellybaby I don't know if I want to know the gender. DH can't decide either. Is there any chance of the doctor saying it without me asking?? I really just want the scan to say 'all going fine' and then have another while to decide if we want to know gender. Do you think I might be able to tell myself by looking at the scan? :eek I feel like a bundle of nerves today. don't know what's wrong with me. maybe it's excitement........... :-8