Scarletttt, but, dandruff.

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Snuffy Posts: 1492
Mortified! But, anyone else suffer from bad dandruff? I've had it as long as I can remember. Have tried nizorol, polytar, t-gel, and the usual home remedies too and nothing works! Strangely while on a no/low carb diet a couple of years ago it really cleared up but as soon as I stopped it came back. What's the best thing to do? Could I go to the doctor with it??
FlexyDee Posts: 4904
I find that Head & Shoulders is the best!
Even head and shoulders doesn't work :-8
Elphaba Posts: 741
Do you take any oil supplements? Do you get enough good fats in your diet? I know it can happen to me when I'm dieting as my skin and scalp get really dry, so I make sure I have some italian dressing in my salad and my fish oils.
atina Posts: 2240
coconut oil you can buy it solid like a wax and massage it into your scalp works wonders
Perci Posts: 3847
It can also be hormonal like acne. The pill can make a difference but I'd talk to your GP.
Ok, so I went to the doc and explained I've tried all the over the counter shampoos and that none have worked, that I've tried some home remedies that didn't work, and that the only time it's cleared was when I was on a vey low carb diet. Her advise was to maybe go backon the diet again. Great help! And the only thing she would give me was a steroid cream to put on my scalp to help with the itching. Anyway, was chatting to a friend the other day and was telling her about my problem. She said she had the same problem but even worse than mine during her junior or leaving cert and went to a dermatologist. They said to crush 2 aspirin tablets and mix with shampoo, massage onto scalp, cover with a plastic bag and leave for an hour. After 2 weeks it should be cleared and if it comes back just wash hair like this once and it should do the trick. It worked for her. So I'm giving it a try! We'll see how it goes!!
SandyClaws Posts: 3108
Snuffy I was like you I had tried everything. I went to my GP and she prescribed cocois ointment. It's prescription only and you put it on your hair and leave for an hour. Smells REALLY coal tarry (think really thick strong polytar) but luckily I love that smell! (weirdo that I am) it worked wonders!! I could probably do with getting more but I'll wait til after baby arrives (or I'll just mention it at my next gp app) but it has never been as bad as it was a year ago before I got this stuff, and I only used it for a month or two.. Let us know if the aspirin works as I might try that
lavendergirl Posts: 478
Any update - did the Aspirin help?
MrsBran2Be Posts: 123
Have you tried the Kerastase Bain Gommage shampoo? I find it brilliant - always get terrible flaky scalp around exam time. :-8 But this does wonders! Also took flax seed oil for a while in the past for dry eyes (actually must start taking that again), but my hairdresser really noticed the difference in the condition of my hair and scalp with it, and so did I. HTH