Menu

Schedule of civil ceremony

Go to Legal & Religious

T1979
New Wolly

Schedule of civil ceremony

Postby T1979 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:35 pm

Hi,
Have any of you had a civil ceremony or been to one lately? I've emailed the registrar but she still hasn't replied. I'm picking songs for the ceremony. I know I need one to walk into but then what? One for the unity candles? Also do you get pronounced husband and wife and the kiss the bride bit and then sign the register or the other way around? Sorry for my cluelessness,haven't been to a wedding since I was a kid!

CasualBride
Major Wolly

Re: Schedule of civil ceremony

Postby CasualBride » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:11 pm

You only need 3 pieces of music: one each to walk up and down the aisle to and one for when you're getting photos taken while you sign the register - otherwise that will be about 5 minutes of silence while your photographer snaps away and gets your witnesses up to join ye.

You don't need one for the unity candles, that's only 10 seconds cos everything is right in front of you, it's not like a church wedding where you're walking up and down to the altar.
I'd say you'll be sitting about 3 feet back from a table (with your backs to your guests), your registrar will sit or stand at the other side of it and all your candles will be just there in laid out on the table right in front of you. That's assuming your hotel will be doing the same as they did for me, and any others I've seen.

Signing the register is the very last thing you do in the ceremony.

After you say your vows, the registrar will pronounce you husband and wife, you kiss each other and everyone claps and cheers!!

Look on YouTube for wedding ceremonies, you'd be surprised at how many people share theirs, it'll give you an idea of it all.

T1979
New Wolly

Postby T1979 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:18 pm

Oh thanks a mil for that, really helpful. I'm awake at night thinking about this..and unity candles,sand ceremonies etc. My head is wrecked! Will look ok YouTube too. Thanks again!

lorrimar
Princess Wolly

Postby lorrimar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:53 am

Usually when you register your intent the registrar will give you a print out of the lay out for the ceremony. You are pronounced husband and wife and sign the register at the end. We had a few songs at ours:
Entrance song
Song for unity candles
2 songs for signing of register and photos
Song to walk back down the aisle

CasualBride
Major Wolly

Postby CasualBride » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 am

Yeah actually what lorrimar said there would be better in terms of making the ceremony longer - like you, T1979, I didn't know what to expect when I began planning mine, I hadn't been to any others, then I went to one in the UK but they didn't have any music or candles at all, so I wasn't much wiser, I just went with what my registrar advised, which was the 3 pieces of music, 2 readings and the candles.
My advice would still be to "drag" it out as much as you can, it is a really short ceremony, so the more your registrar will allow you to add to it, in terms of music etc., the better!

20thMay2017
Mini Wolly

Postby 20thMay2017 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 am

Our celebrant (humanist) emailed us on loads of templates of previous ceremonies that she has done as well as popular readings so I have cobbled together a complete ceremony by taking bits from each one that we liked. If you want T1979 I could email them over to you if you want? We are having the unity candles as well and hope to have music for walking in, lighting the candels (instrumental only) after the last reading (instrumental only) and then for signing the register & photos. I think we are doing the same as most and trying to drag it out as much as possible!

Service Finder
T1979
New Wolly

Postby T1979 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:42 am

Thanks for all the replies. 20thMay2017..that would be great,how do we pm on this?

20thMay2017
Mini Wolly

Postby 20thMay2017 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Just sent them on there now...

T1979
New Wolly

Postby T1979 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 am

Thank so much for that!

Go to Legal & Religious