Selling Home- Estate Agent Fees (advice)

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Prom Posts: 12
we are going to put our house on the market in the lucan area, and i was wondering if anyone had any advice on estate agents and there fees. Has anyone tried selling their houses themselves. thanks
SparklyB2B Posts: 1131
Friend of ours sold their house themselves, saved a fortune on agents fees! try Personally I would do it myself & spend the money saved on a holiday:)
babydust2012 Posts: 4736
I would recommend going through an auctioneer if you got a good deal, they handle everything from advertising to viewings, deposits etc.... Its very difficult and time consuming for a person to sell their own house, especially for me as I would 5 days a week and so does hubby.....
LM24 Posts: 932
Hi, we have recently got sale agreed in Clondalkin. We didnt look into the 'sell it yourself' route however maybe we should have as we got sale agreed after 3 viewings. House was only on the market 2 weeks. This was mainly down to 2 reasons ...1) we took onboard the 3 valuations we got and put it on the market at the higher end of them even though we would have preferred to sell it at a higher price but had to be realistic in the end, 3 EAs cant be wrong. 2) Luck, the buyer has been looking for 3 years and our house suited her completely so she went for it and we got very close to our asking price. Even though it sold very quickly, I would still recommend the estate agent we went with - he has the gift of the gab and handled the negotiations on price brilliantly. Not sure if I can name here so i will PM you.
Smileykaz Posts: 7296
Hey Prom, We've just recently bought a house and dealt with an estate agent and found it a really good experience. We never met the person we were buying off until we had actually bought and finalised everything if you know what I mean. To be honest, having an estate agent involved was something we looked for, I dunno why to be honest, we just felt if there was a person in the middle like, a professional, that if anything went wrong it could be sorted cos that's what they were being paid to do. I don't know if that makes sense to anybody but me!! If we needed anything, we just rang up the estate agent and she sorted everything and liaised with the other party for us. The lady we bought off had two kids and a full-time job and as far as I know, she was delighted to offload all the advertising and viewings and paperwork onto the estate agent. Her house was on the market for a few months and I'd say she would have been driven mad trying to arrange everything herself. I don't mean to speak for her but that's the impression I got anyway! That said, there is money involved and if you are very tight on cash and maybe think you could handle the hassle (it's not a huge amount of hassle now don't get yourself all worried, but there is some hassle) then maybe try to sell it yourself? Check out that website that another poster put up anyway. One recommendation I would make to you though (though we didn't actually buy our house off this company in the end) would be Remax, Team Lorraine Mulligan, based in Celbridge. We saw several houses with Lorraine herself and found her and her team to be incredibly professional. In the end, the one house that we fell in love with, turned out not to be one of their properties, so we didn't actually buy from them, but I would have no hesitation in recommending Lorraine anyway. I'm not sure if Lucan would be in her catchment area, but sure google her anyway and give her a buzz, she's very nice and I'm sure would point you in the right direction. I do have the name of another estate agent based in Lucan that we viewed several houses with that I wouldn't recommend, that I can PM you if you'd like? I don't like to badmouth for no reason, but it would just be a heads up for you, just so you're aware of the difficulty we had. Good luck with it anyway! :wv
Prom Posts: 12
hi all, many thanks for all your replies, I have decided to go with an estate agent and your comments have put my mind at ease. thanks alot.
katgirl Posts: 1258
you can find out how much the estate agents fees are going to be by simply asking them how much % they charge I think when i sold my house remax charged me 1% of the sale price , my house sold at the time for 265,000 and remax charged me 2650.00 which i was happy to pay because of how easy they made things for me and took all the hasle, i dont know how comfortable id feel negotating on price and fixtures and chasing deposits etc myslef
Mrs Summer Posts: 5040
we sold our house about 3 years back and it cost us €5000 it was 1% of the selling price which was €4250 + advertising costs + the sign outside the house + vat which came to about 20 quid off 5k