Semi Private in the Coombe

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

kerrybean Posts: 25
Hi ladies Just looking for some info really from those of you who are going with the Coombe semi private. Have decided to register with the Coombe. What is the protocol for going semi private. When I ring to make booking appointment do I need to tell them then that I want to go semi private? Its very hard to find out exactly how much SP is going to cost us with our VHI Plan B. I rang VHI and they couldn't give me an answer. Can anyone tell me, ball park figure? Thanks a mill Kerry
nelswife Posts: 3869
As far as i can remember when i rang the coombe they told me that for SP it is €750 20% of which you can claim back on a MED1 form You have to pay for each of your scans that can cost anywhere from €160-€300 (you cant claim this back from VHI) and i was told you need about 3 scans With the VHI you are covered (with my vhi) for up to 3 days in a semi private ward But you are not gauranteed that you will be in a semi private room, if there is no beds available you will be put in the public ward! (not that there is anything wrong with that) HTH..best of luck with your decision and wishing you a happy healthy pregnancy! :thnk :stork: :babydust:
Hi Nelswife, thanks a million for your reply! :thnk Just wondering the cost for the scans that you mentioned (€160-€300) x possibly 3 scans, is this on top of the €750? Wow seems like an awful lot. Oh better get cracking on deciding what to do, am not good at making important decisions :-8
No Problem, my head was wrecked trying to make a decison where to go... Yeah that is on top of the €750, and you cant claim your scans back on your VHI either!!.. your vhi just basically covers the cost of your bed!!
Okay well am much clearer now about costs etc so thats great. Will have a final discussion tonight with DH and make our decision and book tomorrow. Somehow I think I'll be going public. Have no probs with this whatsoever just curious about what I'd be entitled to with VHI :wv
I didnt have a problem either with going public but i am paying VHI so long now aprox 8 years that i thought i may as well make the most of it and get what i have paid for so in the end i decided to go to mount carmel, and its not costing that much more then it would have going SP in the coombe!! I didn't want to have paid out so much money going sp in the coombe and not be gauranteed a bed in the semi private ward (again nothing wrong with public) just would annoy me if i paid out moeny and didn't get the bed i paid for in the end!! How far along are you?...
Will only be 6 weeks tomorrow so very early days. My first pregnancy so pretty clueless!! Am starting to get a bit of MS but its not so bad. Yeah good point re Mount Carmel, at least you get what you pay for. How far along are you now, how are you feeling?
ah thats great..congrats!!...i am 12 weeks, due at the end of october, its my first too so all excited and also clueless...thank god i have an older sister who has two kids who tells me everything :-8 :-8 ... I am feeling good, no ms at all thank god, just really tired in the evenings but that is slowly starting to go and already feeling like i have more energy... I just know though that if its a hot summer the heat will kill me...my feet are already swelling with that heat today and its only April Your first scan will be amazing its so good seeing the little bean move around on the screen and seeing and hearing the heartbeat..it makes it so real!!
Yeah very excited about the first scan. I think in the Coombe you get it at 12 weeks. Oh I have so long to go! I would love to be you at 12 weeks! Thats great you are not sick. Well I am not too bad either to be honest. I have a long bus journey to and from work every day so thats kinda making me more green than I think I would be if I didn't have this journey to make. Am going to buy those travel wrist bands, they are meant to be fab. I am pretty tired too in the evenings but its a great excuse not to go to the gym! Have you told people yet? I've only told my sister. I would love to tell my folks over Easter but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be able to keep it secret! Exciting times ahead eh :o)ll :o)ll :o)ll
BallerinaBride09 Posts: 610
Hi KerryBean, congrats on your pregnancy. We are semi-private in the Coombe. I'm 37 weeks so near the end of my ante-natal care. You email / phone the hospital to get an application form which you fill out and return. If you opt for semi-private you will be assigned to a team. I'm Team A, headed up by Dr Michael O'Connell, who sits on Thursday mornings. I have never waited for more than 15mins for any appointments and I've seen him at each visit bar once when I saw one of the senior doctors on his team. I have had a mini scan at every visit (free), and two scheduled scans- one at 12 weeks (dating scan) and one at 20 weeks (anomoly scan). The dating scan cost 80 and the anomoly scan cost 120 I think. I had a glucose tolerance test due to some history and wasn't charged for it. I've been really happy with the care so far. The Coombe is a busy place but it is very well organised. Regarding private health insurance I ended up switching providers at the beginning of my pregnancy because I found VHI incredibly unhelpful about what we were due against semi-private fees. It took over a week for them to get back to us and when they did they didn't have the info we requested. So we shopped around and found that both Quinn and Aviva were dying for our business. Ended up getting an upgrade in cover with Quinn and no waiting period (which can sometimes apply if you get better cover). We're due €400 off our consultants fee which is €750, and we will then claim 20% off the balance from Revenue on the Med1. Good luck with your choice....it's difficult at the start to make a decision! The one piece of advice I always give is not to focus on the room / ward you get post delivery, this is only really one very small part of your antenatal care and shouldn't be the main driver for your decision.