Semi-private questions

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
Hi all, Just getting over the delighted shock of my BFP, going to GP on Thursday. I know consultants get booked up fast so have so questions about going semi-private in Holles street. I know if your private you might get a private room and the waiting time at appointments is shorter but that's it. If you're semi-private: 1. Can you choose your consultant? 2. Do you see your consultant at all appointments? If not is it another consultant you see or just a nurse/midwife? 3. Will your consultant definitely deliver your baby? 4. What actual difference, if any, does it make to the day you go in in labour? 5. How many other mums are usually sharing a room? Anything else I've missed? Would live to hear from mums who've been there. Thanks so much for any help, I'm totally new to this and absolutely clueless!!!
chefmaid Posts: 2426
1. Can you choose your consultant? Yes or they will book you in with one ifthe one you want is not free 2. Do you see your consultant at all appointments? Not sure, lady i spoke to in Holles street said it would either be the consultant or another doctor on her service 3. Will your consultant definitely deliver your baby? No as midwifes do most of the work from what i can make out 4. What actual difference, if any, does it make to the day you go in in labour? I don't think it does but not sure 5. How many other mums are usually sharing a room? in Holles street its 5 beds i think i can't remember what they told me and thats only if there is a bed free in semi-private.
chefmaid Posts: 2426
and the fee is €800 - vhi cover €300 of that and you pay €500 on your first visit
bam bam Posts: 1756
Hey Babyblabber, well congrats on your BFP and welcome over to us all here. Think Chefmaid has answered most of your questions, have a couple of consultants in mind when you are booking incase one is booked up. I am semi-private in Holles Street and have VHI, all we paid was €260 on our first visit, don't know if this has gone up as Chefmaid said she's paid €500. You also pay €110 for your scan at 20 weeks. We had an early scan too so had to pay for that but sure you don't mind that for peace of mind. I think no matter whether you are semi or private the midwife delivers your baby unless you need assisstance, i think in private your consultant should be there but sure they can't always be available. I've seen my consultant twice now and each time he's been there but I know if they've been called out normally one of their registrars would take over the clinic. Eh I think thats all hun, if you think of anything else just ask
bumble Posts: 1980
1. Can you choose your consultant? Yes but they book up fast ..check out list on www.nmh.ie 2. Do you see your consultant at all appointments? If not is it another consultant you see or just a nurse/midwife? Yes you see your consultant at all appointments but they cannot guarantee all so they cover themselves by saying if your consultant is unavailable another consultant will see you. 3. Will your consultant definitely deliver your baby? No. The midwife delivers the baby unless you are private. If there are probs however the consultant on call will be brought in to deliver. 4. What actual difference, if any, does it make to the day you go in in labour? Not sure what you mean by this sorry. 5. How many other mums are usually sharing a room? SP in Holles st is either a 2 bed room or a 5 bed room. Public are 6 bed rooms but they squeeze in more beds if very busy. I understand the fees for semi private have increased this year. I am now 12 weeks pg and when i rang in Jan and booked my appointment i was told fee is around €800 and VHI cover the balance. Basically i've to bring €500 to my first appointment, and then i pay for scans. HTH. [/i]
BrideStuff.com Posts: 229
Do not bother going SP.I didn't get to meet my actually consultant till I was 30 weeks pregant.Always got a replacement. You only ever get 5 minutes with them after queing for an hour in the cattle mart that is the SP clinic. Everyone is given the same time, and you all squash past each other to find a seat on the bench (poor husbands have to stand against the wall getting in the way), and you have to queue up with pee sample in hand to give to midwife.Its mortifying. On the day, its the midwives who do the work anyway and if your pregnancy is plain sailing, you don not need to see a consultant...or line his pockets. Now, having said that, our consultant is lovely but isn't doing anymore than my GP does (blood pressure, doppler etc). The midwife led clinic is the way to go.You get a team of 4 and you'll see one of the 4 on each visit. Save yourself that extortionate rise in fees and buy a fab buggy or something.You don't get any better treatment in SP
babyblaBBer Posts: 2448
thanks for the help guys, such a big decision and such a rush to make it to get the consultant before their booked up!