September mums - how are ye all keeping? - Page 8

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

boobies Posts: 1625
So glad to hear all is well Shorty, take it easy!!
Tigletts Posts: 2904
That's great Shorty, if your fluid levels are nearly normal, does that mean they'll leave you go until you start labour naturally anyhow? Mind yourself and your little man :wv :thnk :xxx
madmam Posts: 1294
Tigs - To be honest I'm not really sure, I am getting irregular cramps low down, but was told that is normal. I presume they will induce me if he is getting distressed/picks up an infection. If that doesn't happen, I guess I will go into labour early anyhow, as my body seems to be confused as to what is going on! I will have to just wait and see. This 'condition' is in the 'what to expect' book, can't remember what its called, but its there somewhere. I don't think they will leave me to full term. I will just be happy to go past next wed really. The general consensus is that he will go early. I don't mind, as long as he is ok. Hope fully the wee man has learned the error of his ways and is backing off a bit! :o0 :wv Oh, heres the definition of it: Preterm Premature Rupture of Membranes (PPROM) The more serious cousin to PROM, PPROM is usually a harbinger of an early delivery. What it is: The condition known as premature rupture of membranes, or PROM, occurs when the membraned sac holding your baby and the amniotic fluid breaks open before you're actually in labor. In most cases of PROM, the rupture quickly prompts the onset of labor, and no further intervention is necessary (though in some cases, contractions don't start on their own and labor needs to be induced). Of greater concern is preterm premature rupture of membranes, or PPROM, a condition in which the membrane rupture occurs before 37 weeks of pregnancy. How common is it? Luckily, neither PROM nor PPROM are all that common. Premature rupture of membranes occurs in fewer than 15 percent of pregnancies. And preterm premature rupture of membranes occurs in fewer than three percent of pregnancies. Who is most at risk? You are most at risk if you smoke during pregnancy, have had a previous early membrane rupture, or had vaginal bleeding during your pregnancy. What are the symptoms? The symptoms of both conditions are leaking or gushing of fluid from the vagina. The way to tell whether you're leaking amniotic fluid and not urine is by taking the sniff test: If it smells like ammonia, it's probably urine. If it has a somewhat sweet smell, it's probably amniotic fluid. Advertisement Should you be concerned? Premature rupture of membranes can lead to infections in you and your baby. And if your baby's head is not yet engaged, there's an increased risk of uterine cord prolapse. Having PPROM puts you at a greater risk of having preterm labor and delivery, which carry their own risks for your baby. What you can do: Obtaining good prenatal care, getting adequate nutrition, and avoiding smoking could lower your chances of PPROM. If your membranes rupture and you're 37 weeks along or more, your practitioner is likely to induce labor within 24 hours or so. If your membranes have ruptured earlier than 37 weeks and your practitioner has determined that it's too soon for your baby to be delivered safely, you'll most likely be put on in-hospital bed rest and be given antibiotics to ward off infection, as well as steroids to mature your baby's lungs as quickly as possible for an early delivery.
Mama Dora Posts: 14987
Glad you are feeling better about it Shorty and baby has settled take care
soontohave3 Posts: 160
Morning girls, How are you all doing this week. Shorty how are things with you ... Nearly at your 34 week mark now hope babs is doing ok! On a major count down in work now finishing up Fri week and just really can't wait to be off. Labour bag is packed and ready to go and have started to get organised with the bits and pieces for my second bag. God all the little baby clothes in the shops are just adorable had to really hold my self back to stop buying at the week end. Just bought the bare minimum for now till we find out if its a boy or girl. Had said all along we weren't doing the nursery till baby arrives but got a real urge yest to have the bedroom ready maybe thats the beginning of nesting?? Realistically it won't be done till after the birth as we are trying to get other work finished at the moment but it kept me awake last night planning it all out. How are the rest of you feeling. Mrs Maternal, did the cream work that the doc gave for the blisters? Tigletts how are the "grapes" i suffer with them terribly too and find that although the creams give relief i haven't managed to get rid of them completely. Oh the joys of pregnancy!!!
Morning all..... Hope Shorty is okay. I'm finishing up Friday week also :o)ll taking next Monday off as I have a day left so two short weeks to go and I can't wait to finish up. I half started my bag at the weekend but better really finish it next weekend. I'm finding it hard to realise that our baby will be here soon :eek I am still sooooo scared of the birth, and reading babe06 story didn't help me. I probably bought far too many baby clothes, but all vests and sleepsuits so practical things I keep telling myself. I think we're pretty much sorted though. Still need to buy the steraliser. Not sure whether to wait until after the birth to get a breast pump in case for some reason I can't BF. Mrs. Positive for my bum grapes, they're still there but so much better, and you know what I've been usiing? Lashings of sudocream!!! It seems to do the job much better than preparation H or anusol ! Hope all the other Sept mammies-to-be are well :wv
Sphynx Posts: 6795
oh Tigletts I'm so jealous! I have another month or so to go before I finish up - it must be so exciting! I decided not to get a breast pump until after the birth as they are quite expensive. Also BF doesn't seem to work out for a lot of people (I am still hopeful!) and a lot of people I know only ended up doing it for a few weeks. Have been told you're not meant to pump for the first few weeks anyway. Think I have spent enough money on stuff so can't justify getting a pump too just in case it's not used! Have started buying clothes too and you would be tempted to go mad buying stuff - there are such cute things out there! Hoping to get myself some maternity PJs today to go in the bag. Am starting to worry a bit too after reading all the birth stories here and have been having some v. weird labour dreams! Our antenatal class is next weekend so hope that will help. How is everyone else?
Hi Sphynx, yeah I think you're right about the breast pump. I'd like to buy an electric one (medola or whatever it's called) but it's probably best I wait until I'm sure I'll need it first. I got a labour nightie in Penny's for 4 euros ! And pj/track suit type bottoms for afterwards that I'll wear with one of my own tshirts. I'm not a pj/nightie person so didn't want to spend money on those. We have our last antenatal class next Monday. I'll probably forget all the breathing and stuff though, am counting on DH to remember for me !! I'm good these days at remembering my fanny exercises as I call them, but still haven't tried the perinial massage :-8
Sphynx Posts: 6795
I was going to ask what are frog exercises and had visions of you squatting and jumping around on the floor to get the baby in a good position or something!!! But then I figured out what you meant! I keep forgetting to do them - thanks for reminding me. Am planning on doing some massages in a couple of weeks but need to build up to going into the health shop to ask for the almond oil - the woman in there is always v. "interested" and am sure she will ask what I want it for ! :o0 Did you just get regular tracksuit bottoms in Penney's? Do they fit ok over/under the bump? Am finding my maternity jeans too tight these days!
Sorry I forgot it would do that.... f a n n y exercises :o0 For the PJ bottoms, I got a size larger than usual, and they're one of those string pull waists so it just sits under my bump now. So they should be fine once baby's born. I still haven't bought any nursing bras either. There's always things to buy, the list just seems endless. Our icandy should arrive soon, I might give T Kealy's a ring today and see if there's any news.