Seven tips for successful marriage

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... im-dowling As a dedicated follower of list-making, I'm simultaneously impressed and appalled by the random number of seven on display here. He could've gone for another three and rounded it off neatly to a conventional 10, or chopped it by two and left it at a bald but respectable five. Do you dare to flout the rules and come up with your own seven? Take it away there.
70schick Posts: 201
I love lists too! :) Only married a few years, maybe in a few years I will have to compile a totally different list! My tips.. 1 Pick your battles. 2 Keep the fights clean and the make-up sessions dirty >:o) 3 Be kind to each other - candles and slushy texts have a shelf life. Kindness should be the glue that holds you both together. 4 Give each other space and time with non-mutual friends. 5 Have a night away from Your kids every few months if possible. Better still a week away together once a year! 6 Don't expect every night to be orgasm city. Enjoy the cuddles and quickies! 7 Respect that you both should and deserve to have interests that are in no way interesting to each other. I love fitness, my husband goes pale at the thought of a short walk. He loves techie stuff. I go into a coma at the mention of anything computerised etc.
ructions Posts: 2689
Treat and speak to your spouse the way you would your best friend.
LadyLizzie Posts: 1724
[quote="70schick":3mcepagv]I love lists too! :) Only married a few years, maybe in a few years I will have to compile a totally different list! My tips.. 1 Pick your battles. 2 Keep the fights clean and the make-up sessions dirty >:o) 3 Be kind to each other - candles and slushy texts have a shelf life. Kindness should be the glue that holds you both together. 4 Give each other space and time with non-mutual friends. 5 Have a night away from Your kids every few months if possible. Better still a week away together once a year! 6 Don't expect every night to be orgasm city. Enjoy the cuddles and quickies! 7 Respect that you both should and deserve to have interests that are in no way interesting to each other. I love fitness, my husband goes pale at the thought of a short walk. He loves techie stuff. I go into a coma at the mention of anything computerised etc.[/quote:3mcepagv] 70schick your list is better than that Guardian one on the link, which reads as a bit cynical or something to me..?!
mammy2011 Posts: 1388
I think someone else's idea of what makes for a happy marriage is one of these "one size does not fit all" things. Like a week away for us without kids would be hell! But then for others our relationship might seem claustrophobic!
Weird Cat Lady Posts: 3501
This is it. His list made me laugh with its bone-closeness. Ructions, I'll give it a go but I talk to my best friend like she's my sister *awkward*
Rogue User Posts: 6101
Never have kids.
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
[quote="BrideOfRecession":ztdfg8q7]Never have kids.[/quote:ztdfg8q7] Oh I wonder who will take the bait first??
Rogue User Posts: 6101
[quote="ReginaFalange":2n2c6uq1][quote="BrideOfRecession":2n2c6uq1]Never have kids.[/quote:2n2c6uq1] Oh I wonder who will take the bait first??[/quote:2n2c6uq1] Hey - I'm only stating the facts... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1941195 ... bliss.html
ReginaFalange Posts: 10290
Wow- can’t argue with those “facts” I guess. Excuse me while I put on my unhappy face.