Sex While Pregnant

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

Magicwand Posts: 85
Hi Girls Feeling a little bit embarassed asking this but just wondering if you are all still DTD since you got pregnant ? I am 11.5 weeks pregnant and was 7 when found out but since I found out I haven't had sex with hubby (don't worry - have been looking after him in other ways !!!) Reason is that I had a Miscarriage month before I got pregnant and I suppose I am worried about anything going wrong again. Is it safe ? Are the rest of you still "performing " ? God feel embasrassed asking this but think I would be more embarassed asking doctor ? :-8 It's not as if I don't want to DTD either - believe me I have the urge - just petrified and know I am probably being totally silly.
Tigletts Posts: 2904
magicwand, I got a book at the weekend, as I got my BFP last week :o)ll and it says there is absolutely NO danger in having sex right through the pregnancy, it has NO danger of a MC. However, as long as it's comfortable for you. Don't feel pressurised into it either. That's my opinion :wv Good luck !
Roni Posts: 70
Not a stupid question at all! Im 26 weeks pregnant today and have honestly no interest whatsoever in having sex! Dont know why, i was never like this before i got pregnant, dont know whether its cos i think it may harm baby or what, just dont have the interest i had before. Like you i had a miscarriage before this pregnancy. But all the books and internet says there is NO danger to baby if having sex. So dont worry, if you want to do it, just do it!!
MrsHawaii05 Posts: 488
i can understand why youre nervouse especially with the m/c....if you're in the mood i'd go for it, but on ds i went completely off sex from bascially the start!!! this time its completely different but im sure your dh will understand whatever you feel-but make the most of it now when u have the chance :xox as when the baby arrives you'll have to find your in built mute button :o0
fancypants Posts: 453
Hi - don't be embarrased it is totally natural that you would feel that way given your recent MC ( which I am sorry to hear about). I fully understand what you mean - when I first got pregnant I was not at all in the mood for it mainly I think because I was terrified that it would do any damage ( I know I know all the books ay it is fine, but it is still hard to relax and enjoy yourself!). Now further on I am still not really into it - I mean we are doing it but to be honest given the size of bump etc it does require a bit of effort! It weird though because while I am not really ever mad for it! when we do do it I have to say it is better than ever - sorry if that is TMI.
babe06 Posts: 898
I'm so glad you asked this question. I'm the exact same - up unitl lask week we haddened ddone it at all since i found ut I was pg. Like you I was terrified something would go wrong (didn't have much interest but occasionally i did) My problem was (and I'm sorry for the tti here) but when we were ttc I read that havingan orgasm during sex mad the uterus contract and therefore it was easy for the sperm to travel. SO I kept thinking as dtd with Dh was alsway good if I did orgasm surely it wasn't good for the baby. Also isn't dtd supposed to bring on labour? I know it sounds really stupid but thats what kept going through my mind. And I know most books say there is no harm but I have two books that say you may be advices my the dotor not to do anything if you are high risk. But as I said last week I gave in!! And so far so good nothing has gone wrong. i'm going for a scan on weds so i wont completely relax until then but I'm sure thereis no harm. Dh also produced another book which said enjoyabel sex was great for toning pelvic muscles for labour - he must have searched high and low for that one God love him!
Thanks Girls - really appreciate your feedback and replies.I think I am just being over cautious. My hubby is being wonderful and full of support and understanding but I don't want to be over - fretting for the rest of my pregnancy and anyway I think the frustration is getting the better of me. !! Am seeing my GP tomorrow and then have my first scan at the end of this month. Really cannot wait for the scan to confirm everything is ok. I cannot believe how easy things are going for me at the moment - only a little tiredness and no morning sickness whatsoever. My boobs are very tender alright and my tummy really swells in the evening but apart from that I wouldn't even know I was pregnant - God never happy - think I am worrying more cos I don't have chroinc symptoms and I know from reading what others are going through re MS that I am so lucky in one way. Think I just need to see the scan- swore I was going to take all this in my stride but having the miscarriage has made me very nervous - that said I'm not like this all the time - think it is only when I have too much time on my hands to think !!! Thanks so much for the replies :thnk
fancypants Posts: 453
Sex is thought to help bring on labour at the end of your pregnancy - there is some thing in semen that can help soften your cervix ( urgh!) but this will only happen if your body is ready for it to - so early on in pregnancy it shouldn't be an issue. My hubby keeps gently suggesting that it might be the answer to me not been able to get a good nights sleep!! - God loves a trier!
Thanks Girls - really appreciate your feedback and replies.I think I am just being over cautious. My hubby is being wonderful and full of support and understanding but I don't want to be over - fretting for the rest of my pregnancy and anyway I think the frustration is getting the better of me. !! Am seeing my GP tomorrow and then have my first scan at the end of this month. Really cannot wait for the scan to confirm everything is ok. I cannot believe how easy things are going for me at the moment - only a little tiredness and no morning sickness whatsoever. My boobs are very tender alright and my tummy really swells in the evening but apart from that I wouldn't even know I was pregnant - God never happy - think I am worrying more cos I don't have chroinc symptoms and I know from reading what others are going through re MS that I am so lucky in one way. Think I just need to see the scan- swore I was going to take all this in my stride but having the miscarriage has made me very nervous - that said I'm not like this all the time - think it is only when I have too much time on my hands to think !!! Thanks so much for the replies :thnk
Sphynx Posts: 6795
We had sex the day our baby's heart stopped beating (12 weeks 5 days). We also flew home from London. I had myself convinced that one of these things caused the damage but the doctor says there's no way that this is the case. I was particularly worried about the sex as my placenta was low-lying. If I get pregnant again I know I will be totally paranoid about both sex and flying. We have been told both are fine but I know deep down some irrational part of me will be terrified of sex and flying (and joining the mile high club will be totally out of the question :ooh ). DH said to me the other day: if either of those things caused the baby to die (and we have been told they didn't), then there was something seriously wrong with her in the first place and she wouldn't have lasted the full 9 months anyway because so many babies survive both right through the pregnancy without any trouble. This is the only thing that gives me any kind of comfort at all. Hope this might help you too.