Sheets, Blankets, Cellular & Quilts?

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

adelz Posts: 3088
HI all, what's the story with all these? Sorry girls just trying get all sorted and really depend on all your advice, Im sure you're sick of me asking questions :-8 I am going to have pram part for sleeping during the day so I just have a mattress in that, so what else? Then crib upstairs for night time, what do I need regards blankets, are they specially fitted ones just for cribs? Then what goes over babs??? When its old enough or big enough I hope to use grobags but until then what do I need? When do you use cellular blankets?? And in a crib set do you get a quilt cover or do you use quilts??? Sorry girls, my mam just doesn't want to hear anything about babs and me getting stuff so that's why I have so many questions for you here :-8
pag Posts: 633
[quote="babsdel":1oo8qw2f]HI all, what's the story with all these? Sorry girls just trying get all sorted and really depend on all your advice, Im sure you're sick of me asking questions :-8 I am going to have pram part for sleeping during the day so I just have a mattress in that, so what else? Then crib upstairs for night time, what do I need regards blankets, are they specially fitted ones just for cribs? Then what goes over babs??? When its old enough or big enough I hope to use grobags but until then what do I need? When do you use cellular blankets?? And in a crib set do you get a quilt cover or do you use quilts??? Sorry girls, my mam just doesn't want to hear anything about babs and me getting stuff so that's why I have so many questions for you here :-8[/quote:1oo8qw2f] We had pram for sleeps downstairs- used pillow cases on the mattress, wrapped DD in Gro swaddle sheet and covered her with cellular blanket - used to put muslin cloth under her head incase of spit up but she wasnt pucky at all. It was same for Moses basket upstairs though had two fitted sheets for this. Started using grobags early enough but she was over 8 lbs at birth and it was an especially tiny grobag so no possibility of wiggling down. Moved to crib after about 8 weeks and had fitted crib sheet (with muslin cloth just in case) by this stage I used grobags for DD and cellular blanket if needed. Cot was similar. You are not supposed to use quilts on babies under one at all. I never bothered with different sizes blankets- I bought two white/cream ones initially and just used them layered if cold or just placed over baby - really don't see point in getting moses/pram ones.
dancerformoney Posts: 2733
A cellular blanket is one layer, folded over is 2 layers etc Crib sheet is one layer. Normally, vest, baby gro, sheet and 1 cellular but it depends on baby. If it feels warm down its front, then remove a layer. If cold, pick up, make warm by cuddling and then add another blankie. If u just add anothet blankie, u are just pushing the cold air more towards them.they cannot make themselves warm like we can by addin layers. They say 1 more layer than u hav on but depends on babs. Their hands are generally a bit colder and this is normal. I bought the flannelette flat sheets for Moses/crib. You can buy the fitted sheets for the crib mattress. I wouldn't use the quilt for crib on small baby, you wouldn't know tog value. Just use sheets and cellular blankets. During the day, I might put cardi on babs and then a blankie, for in the carrycot part of pram. The bed bales in mothercare are good value. I have 4 fitted sheets, 6 flannelette flat sheets, 2 moses bskt size blankets and 2 cot cellular blankets (I can fold in 2 and use as 2 layers if others in wash) Make sure the ambient temp is between 16-20, ideally 18 deg. Then continue with sheet and cellular. Hope that helps!
BusyMom Posts: 717
[quote="babsdel":296cizyr]Im sure you're sick of me asking questions[/quote:296cizyr] I'm sure you're sick of getting advice from me - I seem to forever be answering your posts! not sick of your questions at all though, we all learnt somewhere and alot of us have learnt even more from actually being in the situation, as you will over the next few months, but in the meantime you're dead right to get your head around things before the wee one arrives! As others have said, no quilts until baby is way older (I think two is the most recent guidelines?!) Also discouraged are any type of cot bumpers. For this reason, I would say not to bother with a cot set as such as most of it goes to waste! Pillow cases are ideal for undersheets for mattresses etc. No need to get loads of fitted sheets. Cellular blankets are a tough one, don't buy too many of the tiny sized one. I bought loads of these and they're now taking up room in wardrobes! Buy some of the cot sized ones and fold them in two (for two layers of blanket) Once you have the extra blanket at the base of the basket/crib, it won't make any difference! I can't help with any more of the exact details - my son is currently gone 2 so I've long forgotten the specifics of what we used to put on him!
ohsotired Posts: 7071
I was going to ask about the bumpers - we were told at intro ante-natal class that you shouldn't use them and yet everywhere I look there are sets & bumpers everywhere! So say if for example we get a crib - we don't need to worry about 'padding' the surrounding area of it? Just go with matress, sheet, blankie?
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
Ohsotired for the crib we just have sheet and I bought a gro swaddle for when babs is very young and a 0-6 months gro bag for when baby is about 6 weeks (or 8.5 pounds). However I got a full set (duvet, bumper etc) for the cot bed- purely for decoration though!! We'll remove them when baby is sleeping in the cot! In all honest there's no need for them but I just think the nursery looks more 'done' with them. Babsdel grobags are great, most mums swear by them! The official gro bags can be used from when the baby weighs 8.5 pounds so just use a swaddle blanket or cellular blankets before then. Light grobags are suitable for day time naps too.
ohsotired Posts: 7071
Thanks AmandaMc! I agree they do make the cots etc look more finished but there's no point in me getting them if I don't need them - no doubt somebody will pass one on or give us one as a present at some stage! :o0 I saw the Gro Swaddle & Bag on InHealth - think I might invest in one too!!
Thanks very much girls for all the advice and tips, def invaluable. I really appreciate every piece of advice each and every one of you give. [quote:3fr402wp]I'm sure you're sick of getting advice from me - I seem to forever be answering your posts! not sick of your questions at all though, we all learnt somewhere and alot of us have learnt even more from actually being in the situation, as you will over the next few months, but in the meantime you're dead right to get your head around things before the wee one arrives! [/quote:3fr402wp] :o0 Thanks you're great at replying. It's so hard when it's your first and you just cant ask you're mam....I feel so lost and overwhelmed by the amount of info I don't know about simple things ie blankets etc etc. I have two gro bags got, one 0-6mths and the other 0-12 mths so obv Ill use the smaller first but its great that you know they are good and give you peace of mind that babs will be warm enough with them and a blanket. Girls ye are absolutely wonderful for all the advice you keep giving me. Thanks a mill :wv
AmandaMc Posts: 1813
Just in case you weren't aware you aren't supposed to put a blanket over the gro bag- in colder weather just layer on more clothes onto babs (long sleeved bodysuit and sleepsuit) and make sure it's a 2.5 tog and not a 1 tog.
Thanks for that, I didn't know that, I was told recently there was something on one of the radio stations saying that gro bags weren't warm enough and you should put blanket on that's only reason I was thinking that. God thank god you said that! Super thanks mill :wv