Sheets, cot, crib, what for hospital -please help??

We've Moved!

Our wonderful discussion forums have now moved to Facebook...

Click to join us in our HIGM ("Help I'm Getting Married") group!

maemay Posts: 45
Hi girls this may be a stupid post, but im a bit confused... The cot sheets that you are meant to bring into the hospital, where do you get these does anyone know? The thing is, I bought cot sheets and the are of course huge big enought for a full size cot, too huge to bring into the hospital for those little baby cots that the little ones will be in. Where do you get these? Can any of you experienced mothers please explain to me what sheets I need to buy. I have been given a crib cot (one of those that rock) Smallish and I have purchased a big normal size cot and I have got a mosses basket to start off with. The mosses basket is easy enough to figure out I have bought a fitted sheet for that. but do you buy a top sheet for that? or do you use the cellular blankets or what? ....basically Im totally confused over all sheets to buy. can anyone give me advice or what they bought for baby when it comes to sheets, fitted, top, swaddle, blankets.... help help! Again sorry if this post sounds completely ridicolous.....
FoundHome Posts: 1753
For the hospital, I packed a couple of really soft cotton pillowcases and a couple of flannel receiving blankets from Guineys (think they were something like 50cmx50cm). The Guineys blankets are more like flannel sheets which were very soft and were 3 for €5. Great value and easy wash with spewy newborns. I used pillow cases/receiving blankets under his head for weeks after we came home in case of spit-ups - saves hunting for fitted crib sheets at 3am I bought a pack of three fitted crib sheets which did me until we moved DS into his own room and big cot. Again purchased another 3 pack of his cot.Thank goodness DS outgrew his spewy nature!! You can buy both small (moses basket) and cotsize cellular blankets which are the best type of coverings to use to prevent babs from overheating. I only bought 2 smaller cellular blankets for the early days in his crib and the rest in the larger size. I swaddled him in a cellular blanket for the first couple of months. Once DS was a bit older, I moved him into a Grobag as he was a wriggler and could get himself out of swaddle before I made it outside the bedroom door :o0 Strangely enough the less expensive cellular blankets I bought in Guineys kept their shape and were softer than the M+Ps ones. But the M+Ps fitted sheets are amazing... so so soft even after months of use. I hope this helps and best of luck :wv
Handymammy Posts: 1086
Ah I wrote a massive reply but lost it. Found home has answered most of it though. I agree that Guineys sheets are the winner! and so cheap. I put muslin cloths under babies head tucked in under mattress to protect from spit ups. Just to say that there are 3 types of sheet: -cot (for the big cot baby goes into at 6 months or so0 -mosses basked - crib (which are slightly larger than moses basket ones and used for the cot/crib that baby sleeps in at first. So it is sheet over mattress, then pillowcase or muslins square under head and then cellular blanket to swaddle baby in.
Oh forgot to add pack one of the small cellular blankets for use in the hospital.
Delphinium Posts: 3027
I wouldn't have expected to have to bring sheets for hospital. Maybe it depends on the hospital. Were you specifically told to bring sheets and blankets for baby??
Some hospitals don't supply them and then others do. And then some mothers prefer to use their own softer sheets and blankets, even if supplied. I had DS in the Coombe who did supply sheets and a baby blanket (the blue towel type one) but I preferred to bring my own. We were also in for 5 days so it was important to me to have something nicer against his skin. You should see some of the style in the SBCU - they'd put us to shame!
BusyDee Posts: 8527
A big sheet is fine for the hospital just take out the mattress and wrap it around it a few times! I had bought moses basket fitted sheets thinking they would fit but they were too small. [quote="Delphinium":1z85nvkb]I wouldn't have expected to have to bring sheets for hospital. Maybe it depends on the hospital. Were you specifically told to bring sheets and blankets for baby??[/quote:1z85nvkb] I would bring them even if they say they supply them as sometimes the quality isnt great, the one they put under DD was horrible, it was all bawly! SIL went and bought us a lovely soft flannel one in Tesco - it was huge though but as above we just wrapped it around the mattress a few times and put a muslin under her head area, the one sheet then did us for the 4 nights we were there!
Winter B2B Posts: 3494
I had ds in Holles st and the sheets they had on crib were prefect. Same quality as the normal bed sheets. But I would definitely recommend bringing blankets as the blankets in the hospital were those horrible hard blue towels.
maemay Posts: 45
[quote:2u0a1wfj]Just to say that there are 3 types of sheet: -cot (for the big cot baby goes into at 6 months or so0 -mosses basked - crib (which are slightly larger than moses basket ones and used for the cot/crib that baby sleeps in at first. So it is sheet over mattress, then pillowcase or muslins square under head and then cellular blanket to swaddle baby in. [/quote:2u0a1wfj] Thanks Girls thats great advice!! just what I needed, i was getting a bit confused...i now have it...and pillow cases seem to be very handy too! I will definately be bringing sheets into the hospital with me, for hygenic purposes as well as the fact that the hosp advises to bring them in. Guiney's seems to be the place to go and I completley forgot about recieving blankets, it gonna be a weekend of sheet shopping for me, have all else done thank god! Thanks again ladies :lvs :lvs :lvs